• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Chassis condition

Van Lifeson

Aug 11, 2018
F5D39CC8-FBFA-4BFB-8534-46E370125994.jpeg 3EFA2E49-F289-44AF-A08A-A218F8E675F8.jpeg A28F1860-0660-4DCD-8542-567A6534C74C.jpeg AB0105D0-A544-49D8-816A-89DD4084C9C1.jpeg 9E3A3BB7-AC1B-40CA-AA9C-14813EAEC550.jpeg
Looking for some opinions as to why the chassis of this radio looks the way it does. Wondering if it’s just patina because someone told me that it looks like it was either in a flood or in a fire. I don’t know how that could be unless the covers and face plates were removed from the radio before it was in a flood or fire. The radio functions very well and the exterior is nearly mint! Also, the underside of the chassis is shiny. I was thinking maybe it’s just the way it is from years of use and heat? Thanks for any opinions!

View attachment 35895 View attachment 35896 View attachment 35897 View attachment 35898 View attachment 35899
Looking for some opinions as to why the chassis of this radio looks the way it does. Wondering if it’s just patina because someone told me that it looks like it was either in a flood or in a fire. I don’t know how that could be unless the covers and face plates were removed from the radio before it was in a flood or fire. The radio functions very well and the exterior is nearly mint! Also, the underside of the chassis is shiny. I was thinking maybe it’s just the way it is from years of use and heat? I’m also thinking it could be just dust settled on the chassis for 40 years or whatever Thanks for any opinions!

Maybe In The Home of A Smoker. The inside looks Clean for its age I see Rust on the Transfomer ! if thos caps are aroginel Please Replace them All To not Let Out The Smoke .

Reactions: walterjn
Maybe In The Home of A Smoker. The inside looks Clean for its age I see Rust on the Transfomer ! if thos caps are aroginel Please Replace them All To not Let Out The Smoke .
I seem to see a lot of older transformers look that way, I don’t know why but they do.
Also, after I received the radio it was basically spotless when I wiped it down. I don’t think anyone could’ve cleaned it that perfectly to remove smoke from a smoker. I mean, the thing on the outside is near mint. The radio has also been re-capped. It is virtually silent with no hum or buzz whatsoever. I am more inclined to think it’s just 50 years of dust and airborne dirt or whatever settling on the chassis through the top vents of the pieces. Because the bottom is shiny like a mirror on both pieces

Nice find, had one back in the 70's.
I doubt if it was in a fire. Possibly stored in a humid environment or owner was a heavy smoker.
I have seen other older radios where the chassis just patinas as it is bare carbon steel,
not plated alloys like newer rigs.

Reactions: Tokin
I see no signs of flood or fire. If that were the case all the components would be covered. It doesn't look like cigarette damage inside as it would be on all the components. I agree that it appears it was stored in less than optimum conditions at some point and that could be the cause of the discoloration. The cover looks to be sun bleaching. A box or something with 2 rectangular holes sat on top for a long time and sun breached those spots. That would be my guess.

Reactions: oldtymer
I see no signs of flood or fire. If that were the case all the components would be covered. It doesn't look like cigarette damage inside as it would be on all the components. I agree that it appears it was stored in less than optimum conditions at some point and that could be the cause of the discoloration. The cover looks to be sun bleaching. A box or something with 2 rectangular holes sat on top for a long time and sun breached those spots. That would be my guess.
Those rectangular spots are just caused by the angle of the louvers on the top of the cases and the way the light is hitting them. . They look great

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.