• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Check this disaster out.

I had a Cobra XL450 that had four strapped Motorola 454 transistors. Bought it for $100 cash, as is, off of Craigslist. It looked almost brand new.

Sold it about a year later for $375 because I needed a new refrigerator. It worked very good with a steel whip on the back of my pickup truck. At least I still have the fridge...lol.

I had a Cobra XL450 that had four strapped Motorola 454 transistors. Bought it for $100 cash, as is, off of Craigslist. It looked almost brand new.

Sold it about a year later for $375 because I needed a new refrigerator. It worked very good with a steel whip on the back of my pickup truck. At least I still have the fridge...lol.
The Cobra XL amps were good amplifiers.
The thing about the Magnum/Cobra/TX series is you can't beat on them to make them show typical class c comp style power output.
Jeff

The Cobra XL amps were good amplifiers.
The thing about the Magnum/Cobra/TX series is you can't beat on them to make them show typical class c comp style power output.
Jeff
100%. Probably also why they didn't sell particularly well. Ghost watts make the meters dance. No one wants to see true output. They bought the unfiltered splatter wagons. The below is not mine its presently on eBay for 500 smackers.
I'd have actually been a taker but getting a AL80A so I'm out of the buyer pool for this. Pretty though! Peculiar the fan seems missing though. Not sure what's happening there. And what appears to be a keying circuit and a adjustable input maybe added?

Screenshot_20231112_163040_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20231112_163053_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20231112_163056_eBay.jpg

Last edited:
I'll never sell my 2x Toshiba 2SC2879 Cobra XL 350. I also once had the gray faced Palomar Magnum 4x 2SC2879 (the precusor to these) same build and filters and boards etc and stupidly sold it many years ago for rediculously low price. Didn't realise the unicorn I had. I've only seen one come up for sale once in the past IDK 20 years? Think it was called a Palomar Magnum 4500R if memory serves. The blue faces didn't do a 4x 2SC2879 I dont believe.
Also had the 4x 454 blue face mobile for a couple days but gave it back as the output wasn't significantly more than the 2x 2SC2879 and for 500 bucks some years ago it wasnt worth it.
0402211502.jpg
0402211501a.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Smokinone
100%. Probably also why they didn't sell particularly well. Ghost watts make the meters dance. No one wants to see true output. They bought the unfiltered splatter wagons. The below is not mine its presently on eBay for 500 smackers.
I'd have actually been a taker but getting a AL80A so I'm out of the buyer pool for this. Pretty though! Peculiar the fan seems missing though. Not sure what's happening there. And what appears to be a keying circuit and a adjustable input maybe added?

View attachment 66374View attachment 66375View attachment 66376

The one I have doesn't have the fan either. I bought it with a blown 454, and bought a matched set from RF Parts to replace them both. It's only a high low basically as some of the wiring to the high-med-low switch was burned of when I got and I didn't know where to re-attach...so low-high, which is good.

Reactions: lonestarbandit
Nice. I'd hang on to it. Interesting yours also doesn't have a fan, I'd swear they came with from factory.

Nice. I'd hang on to it. Interesting yours also doesn't have a fan, I'd swear they came with from factory.
Doesn't look like one was even there ie: no mounting scrapes or any indication anything was mounted there.
I have a CObra 350 XL in line now, and have 2 of the 450's in the cabinet. I think I have one of the Palomars you're speaking of as well, I'll see if I can find it and post a pic. I always liked the quality of the build on these although I know nothing about them. They just looked clean and always get good reports.

• Love
Here's my collection of these amps, plus a Bulletproof 1. Don't know if it's really bulletproof, but it's the only kicker I've seen with an adjustable SSB delay.
I know, I am sick and have too much stuff. Sad thing is I don't put them in line very often, I still kinda like to go with whatever the power the radio I have hooked up has. But, I do have the Cobra XL350 hooked up in addition to ones I have stacked. I couldn't get the stack to show up right. 2 450's on the top, different names but the same inside, except the Bulletproof1.

Attachments

• bulletproof-one_a.jpg
    bulletproof-one_a.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • bulletproof-one.jpg
    bulletproof-one.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 41
  • Palomar-Cobra-a.jpg
    Palomar-Cobra-a.jpg
    993.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Love
I got curious and opened up the Bulletproof 1. Very clean inside. 2 SD1446 inside, I don't remember what the output of this little gem is.
Also the belly cover is metal, not plastic like the Skipper/Cobra/Palomar.

Attachments

• Bulletproof1_1.jpg
    Bulletproof1_1.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 53
  • Bulletproof1_2.jpg
    Bulletproof1_2.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 40

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.