• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Choice of transceivers

EI52N7W

Jun 30, 2013
Ireland
Ok being given a choice of transceivers as a seccond backup rigs and two have become available on a local level,

What would you recommend from these two sets

Alinco DX70TH or TS850s

the ts 850s is a superior radio to the dx70th as it has a processor and is near the top of the sherwood engineering receiver lists. the alinco does the same power out but it also has 6 meters and is a much younger radio. i find that when 2 homebases are in the one house that only 1 is used so i suggest that if you have two radios you make one a mobile for the car given that you have your heart set on buying a new homebase.
i had a ts850sat(with autotuner) for a while and i loved it but the fm squelch doesnt work on any of that model. I also spent a lot of money getting the damage from leaky capacitors repaired. there were many previous repairs done already to the dds chips.
i never had an alinco but from what i read the vfo dial goes wonky like the lincolns but is a cheap repair. after being burned with a few radios personally i prefer a reliable radio and given that the alinco has more features and is younger i would go for that. if you want good audio buy a processor microphone for it.

Reactions: 1 person
Hm. I have a TS-850SAT and I've never had issues with the FM squelch on it. I do have problems with the squelch on the TS-950SDX though. The rig isn't broken, but the design of the squelch circuit makes it a bit too sensitive for people like me that live in big cities with lots of man-made radio noise. My background noise level is so high that I can't get the squelch to close in FM mode even if I turn the squelch control all the way up. I can compensate by turning the RF gain down, but that's annoying. However the TS-850 has a totally different FM implementation and it works great, even at my noisy QTH.

If you're just comparing HF, I'd say the TS-850 is a better radio. If you *must* have 6 meters too, well then you'd have to go with the Alinco.

-Bill

I'd go with the Alinco as well. I've replaced 2 encoders on the several units I have owned. Parts are still easy to get. Might need to get a few hard to find components from across the pond.

Good little rigs.

Thanks for that, im still in the middle of negotiations on all radios, but im shortlisted to a few, the alinco i think in my circumstance as a newbie entry person to amature radio is a good choice, as i know the history on the set. the other is a no warranty rig with no history no warranty,,,,, so i have to be careful of what i buy, it's all experiance in the end and as a newbie it is nice to get some sound information, im sure theres a lot of radios out there that need more than shipping and this is what im trying to avoid, As when i do get the papers required to run such radios i will probobly sell my entry level ones to someone that i can sell to and stand over such equipment

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.