• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Choosing a transciever

ea74706

Feb 3, 2008
I have done all the research I can and I need your help on deciding a transciever. These are the 3 I am MOST interested in.

-FD-150A
-FD-168A
-PX-777 Plus

I am a field radio opperator in the Marine Corps but this will be my first personal VHF Transciever. I have also looked at the JT-208, VEV-3288S, LT-2288, and the KG-669. I you have had experience with ANY of these radios, let me know. Or if you like another radio under $100, I would be happy to look at that one also.

Tanks

Last edited:

I guess it just depends on what you plan to use the thing for (amateur, military, other?), what you want/need for it to do.
Not having any knowledge of the radios you mentioned I honestly can't recommend any of them (never heard of'em before). Just as a VERY rough 'rule of thumb', if it costs less than $100, it just ain't gonna be much radio. Then again, it it fills your needs, ain't nothing wrong with that!
- 'Doc

The Puxing has a decent reputation, but *beware* if you are this new to the hobby, I would really recommend you stick to something like a Yaesu VX-170 or an Icom or Kenwood.

The reason simply is, the radios you mentioned are a very recent addition to the marketplace, many aren't even properly type accepted and if you can't figure something out on your own...there are very few owners to help you.

If you go to yahoo groups and look up things like the Yaesu VX-170, you will find tons of help there. Also you will find free software kicking around to program the more popular radios. For the little bit of price difference with the 170 and the Chinese radios, I'm not sure it's that much of a bargain.

I would also strongly urge you to consider a dual-band radio like the Yaesu FT-60 (probably the best bargain in an HT weighed for its quality and abilities IMO). It's a lot more useful to have VHF/UHF for a handheld, for reasons you will discover as you get into the hobby...UHF is very handy as a crossband uplink for one.

I have done all the research I can and I need your help on deciding a transciever. These are the 3 I am MOST interested in.

-FD-150A
-FD-168A
-PX-777 Plus

I am a field radio opperator in the Marine Corps but this will be my first personal VHF Transciever. I have also looked at the JT-208, VEV-3288S, LT-2288, and the KG-669. I you have had experience with ANY of these radios, let me know. Or if you like another radio under $100, I would be happy to look at that one also.

Tanks

Check out this web site http://www.8541electronics.com/

Call and ask for Richard JR, he is a good guy, in your neck of the woods sorta, North Carolina, and he is ex marine I believe, you guys should be able to talk about alot and he can help you choose a good radio. Tell him hi from the forum.

I would use it mainly as a portable scanner but I would like it to have decent transmission if I wanted to talk. Not for the military. So thats why I didn't want to spend over $100 on it. I'm just not going to be communicating that much, so I would like it to have good recieving audio. I am new to this hobby but like I said before, I'm a radio opperator. I mean, I know how to program and send voice and data (including text messages which is pretty cool) over $83,000 radios for the marines so I can definetely "figure" something out if I had to. Which seems like it would be a good trait from what I read about the "Chinglish" manuals with chinese radios. Thanks for the input from the both of you. I'll check out the Yaesu VX-170.

Last edited:
With those requirements the Puxing might be good then. Dual band would be a more useful scanner...

A site with excellent info on many of the Chinese radios is http://www.asiaradiosales.com/ No idea about them as a vendor, but lots more info than most sites pushing these.

The Puxing has a decent reputation, but *beware* if you are this new to the hobby, I would really recommend you stick to something like a Yaesu VX-170 or an Icom or Kenwood.

The reason simply is, the radios you mentioned are a very recent addition to the marketplace, many aren't even properly type accepted and if you can't figure something out on your own...there are very few owners to help you.

If you go to yahoo groups and look up things like the Yaesu VX-170, you will find tons of help there. Also you will find free software kicking around to program the more popular radios. For the little bit of price difference with the 170 and the Chinese radios, I'm not sure it's that much of a bargain.

I would also strongly urge you to consider a dual-band radio like the Yaesu FT-60 (probably the best bargain in an HT weighed for its quality and abilities IMO). It's a lot more useful to have VHF/UHF for a handheld, for reasons you will discover as you get into the hobby...UHF is very handy as a crossband uplink for one.

SR385, Has given you sound advice, There are a lot of very good affordable handhelds with reputable companies and solid history here. I made the mistake of buying a off brand uhf hand held fromm over seas it sits in the junk box luckily the FCC finaly shut down the distributor here in the US for the P.O.S. after quite a few people got burned.

I would also strongly urge you to consider a dual-band radio like the Yaesu FT-60 (probably the best bargain in an HT weighed for its quality and abilities IMO).

I concur the Yaesu FT-60R is a fine HT, I had one of these radios and it was probably the best HT I ever possesed thus far. I haven't heard much on the VX-170 but it looks like it would be closer to your price range for the features you were wanting.

If you live in an area such as myself, where there isn't much 70cm (440MHz) activity going on you may do OK with the VX-170. The ICOM Icom IC-V8-15 Sport is around $100. The Icom ICOM V82 might also work for you.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.