• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Clarifier alignment

Oct 31, 2011
On my DX979 I've unlocked the clarifier, but I was wondering if I have to adjust the frequency alignment to match the TX with the RX, or does it automatically do this as it they are both sliding together?

By the way this is my first post and I would also like to say Hi to everyone.:D

ps. I don't have any test equipment other than my R.S. swr meter.

This might be a little over my head. Do you know if there are any good techs in the Phoenix metro area?

I also think Santa might bring me a freq. counter this year.

You will need a to use - at minimum - a digital volt meter ('DVM') and a frequency counter that can display 8 places for 27mhz. This will allow accuracy, provided the counter is an accurate one.

If you aren't ready to get into it yet; then try:

Apollo Communications
4322 W Northern Ave
Glendale, AZ 85301
(623) 939-2240

Never used them or gone there myself; but Google shows them as one possible candidate in your area.
Cost: ~$45

Now that I've thought about it a bit, with that price being almost a third of what the radio cost in the first place, how much does a commercial grade frequency counter cost? (new or used)

I'm not afraid to do the work, I've already done the mechanical part successfully, and further looking at the the alignment procedure it does not seem to be that difficult. (at least as this is concerned)

I also believe a great deal of any hobby is to know as much about it as possible, if the price for the test equipment isn't too unreasonable I would like to consider the option. As I'm sure these alignment procedures will come up frequently.

What is some good equipment to get for this particular procedure?

Maybe so and maybe no. The Galaxy may be different than my RCI 2950DX but when I unlocked the clarifier on it the RX and TX were centered where they should be and I did not have to touch anything. Even if it does have to be adjusted you should only have to touch the USB/LSB local oscillators and not the VCO IIRC.

Since the clarifier is already unlocked just start asking some people on the air with unlocked clarifiers where they have you tuned in at and check where you have them tuned in at. If they are both at the same place like 12:00 or 1:00 or whatever you should be pretty good without touching anything.

Yes; you will need to re-align the VCO, and then re-align the output oscillators to get it spot on freq.
Recommend that you allow the radio to fully warm up for 20-30 minutes in a warm room before you do the procedure too.

Use these following pages for alignment info:

Galaxy Radios DX979 Service Manual

AS you can see from the alignment pages, it will also require a oscilloscope for real accuracy. Unless you are going to do alignments for yourselves and others, I would vote against it.
You will also need a 25 watt 'dummy load', a watt/modulation meter, a freq generator, and a means to sample the freq for AM carrier output. You can use a DVM instead of an O-scope; but that is fudging. OK to do if it just your radio; not OK if doing it for others radios - IMO.

In addition, taking to a shop will allow for a complete alignment will get all of the circuits done right. Don't even ask for 'a peak and tune'. That isn't an alignment; that is just some minor adjustments that anyone can make to the modulation, carrier, and ALC.

As far as a cheap freq counter; you get what you pay for. However, for ~$!00 you can do quite well. This one (link below) looks like my freq counter, as the button/functions/face are all the same with a different brand on it. Works quite well and is fairly accurate.

1-TENMA MULTI FUNCTION FREQ. COUNTER- 72 -465 | eBay

Last edited:
Now that I've thought about it a bit, with that price being almost a third of what the radio cost in the first place, how much does a commercial grade frequency counter cost? (new or used)

I'm not afraid to do the work, I've already done the mechanical part successfully, and further looking at the the alignment procedure it does not seem to be that difficult. (at least as this is concerned)

I also believe a great deal of any hobby is to know as much about it as possible, if the price for the test equipment isn't too unreasonable I would like to consider the option. As I'm sure these alignment procedures will come up frequently.

What is some good equipment to get for this particular procedure?

You could probably spend a couple hundred bucks on a used one on ebay to get the job done. There are a bunch of new Chinese units there that would probably work, but I don't know how good they are from personal experience. Most of the Chinese units I looked at only had 80mv sensitivity, which isn't that great, though. This one: HIGH RESOLUTION FREQUENCY COUNTER 0.01 Hz -2.4GHz RADIO | eBay as 50mv sensitivity and should do the trick, though.

To perform a complete alignment, you will also need an O-Scope, frequency generator, multi-meter, and a few other odds and ends. It's not a cheap proposition.

I've only done a few clarifier unlocks on Galaxy radios. They all saw a need to re-align the entire VCO/osc chain. Come to think of it, the whole radio needed an alignment. Never seen a Galaxy on my bench that didn't see improvement from that process. I don't think that this radio can go without it and work as well as they are possible of doing - IMO. I also think that Coletrain would be better served to send it to a shop and get the best out of his radio in so doing . . .

Thanks for the replies guys. I agree that my best immediate option for now will be to send it in to a tech.

I would however like to eventually do the work myself. Years ago when I bought my Jeep I made it a point to do the mods in it myself discovering that I would have missed out on half of the experience having not done it.

I think I'll save up and try to find some testing units over time.

Maybe so and maybe no. The Galaxy may be different than my RCI 2950DX but when I unlocked the clarifier on it the RX and TX were centered where they should be and I did not have to touch anything. Even if it does have to be adjusted you should only have to touch the USB/LSB local oscillators and not the VCO IIRC.

Since the clarifier is already unlocked just start asking some people on the air with unlocked clarifiers where they have you tuned in at and check where you have them tuned in at. If they are both at the same place like 12:00 or 1:00 or whatever you should be pretty good without touching anything.

DITTO

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.