1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Cleaning NMO mount

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by Red012, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Red012

Red012 New Member

My 96 bronco has a nmo mount and coax ran but its been exposed for a few years and has some gummy rust im going to get the multimeter out and check it but ive been thinking about vinegar in a little cup sealed to it ive heard that makes stuff fall off if anyone has anything better to use im open to suggestions

2. Redbeard U812

Redbeard U812 WDX-1030 / U812 South Texas

Take it apart, wire brush, wire wheel, hit it with ospro- phosphoric acid, kills rust. Wire wheel. Should turn rust black to carbon. Between parts apply silicone lube, re-install.

3. Red012

Red012 New Member

Its got some build up on it so i will probably have to get it off before I can remove it

4. Red012

Red012 New Member

I put a hole in a coke cap and screwed it on the nmo soaked it in pb blaster and used a wire brush on it now it test good on the multi meter

Redbeard U812 and Slowmover like this.
  5. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Sr. Member

Rust acts like a diode for RF which is not a good thing so you want that gone. I'd be inclined to assume water has got in the coax and I think I'd just bin the lot and install new mount and cable.

6. Red012

Red012 New Member

The cable is good i believe. I know it hasn’t leaked just external surface rust i cleaned the threads and the center nub they are clean now

7. Red012

Red012 New Member

Thats the one place in the headliner that stays dry all the time and it is dusty

8. Red012

Red012 New Member

image.jpg image.jpg So its no longer cleaning an nmo mount its now replacing it

Slowmover likes this.
  9. Red012

Red012 New Member

Thats all thats left of it the tabs snapped off and my antenna fell over wasn’t getting any signal now i know why

10. sunbulls

sunbulls Sr. Member

I'd look into getting a brass NMO mount as your replacement. Motorola and PCTEL makes some quality ones.

11. Red012

Red012 New Member

The one I ordered to replace it is brass im also thinking about panel bonding a peice of sheet metal on the inside to brace the mount

Slowmover likes this.