• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CLR 2 coil.

Staybolt

Mar 20, 2013
Im wanting to rebuild the coil in my CLR 2. Its the wafer one. Does anyone know the actual length of the wire thats on the wafer?

The coil I made is using 14 gauge solid copper wire.12 turns inside diameter of 2 inches.

one side of coil connects to vertical radiating element.
other side connects to ground
tap the coil to give you best vswr.

I installed my coil on the side of the vertical element and soldered a wire to the so 239 then tapped coil for best vswr.
Mine was tapped about 4 or 5 turns down from the vertical element.
the coil presents a DC voltage short to ground so the antenna is still DC grounded but for RF it will lower the resistance to present a good 50 ohm vswr.

Just play with it until you get the best vswr.

The question that was posted, was pertaining to rebuilding/replacing the original toasted coil.
the original coil didnt like high wattage 300 watts was too much and coil would burn up,,, the change i showed was a way to still be able to use antenna at higher wattages,,,, so i think i answered the question of rebuilding/replacing,,,,,

Reactions: worldwidejack
the original coil didnt like high wattage 300 watts was too much and coil would burn up,,, the change i showed was a way to still be able to use antenna at higher wattages,,,, so i think i answered the question of rebuilding/replacing,,,,,
I think you said how to modify the antenna to handle more power. Not how to rebuild the original coil.

Im wanting to rebuild the coil in my CLR 2. Its the wafer one. Does anyone know the actual length of the wire thats on the wafer?
Staybolt, there was a discussion of this very topic some time ago. The CLR 2 had two different coil types that were constructed differently. I believe the PCB coil, was fitted in the Archer/Radio Shack version. The Hy-Gain version, was a small coil of wire, wound on a short piece of PVC pipe. I was searching for the actual turns and tap point of that wire wound coil myself, but the thread didn't have that info. I asked Marconi, who had shown photos of his coil, if he has the turns ratio, but did not get a reply.

This is the thread ai was referring to in my previous post.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?