• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cn801H meter question

longhaireddwb

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Ive got one of the newer hp models i think thats the letters on it. These are both for hf . Anyway a friend needed some quick cash so i bought his meter and its the older one without the hold funtion and no swr reading on pep. He found the mod for the swr on pep and installed it. Ive opened it up and checked everything out and the mod looks very well installed.

The problem im having is pep dont read anywhere close to the same as my new meter. AVG on both meters match and swr match.
I did notice that the old one has only six pots in it for resetting the readings/adjustments. So i think pep is not adjustable by itself.
I also noticed on the board that the pl259s are connected to has two adjustable pots.

Anyone know what those pots are for?
And anyone have an idea of how i can adjust the pep readings?

Thanks.

I have the Daiwa CN-801 original version. The one I have is not an active peak reading meter, so I don't put too much stock in its measurements while using SSB. It seems fairly accurate compared to other meters on modes like FM, CW, etc. That said, are you sure your model is one that is an active PEP meter? If not, your results on SSB won't be comparable to one that is.

just got a new cn-801 hp and it has peak/hold and needs to have the 12v power hooked up for the PEP mode to function,, only single needle function in pep mode, I might add the jumper wire to make the reflect power read in pep mode

Last edited:
I think what im going to do is to take the mod out. Maybe the PEP will come up this way..
Id still like to know what the two pots are for that are on the so239 board under the shield? Anyone?

Just 2 variable C's that feed the measuring circuit.
If i managed it right, here's the circuit diagram

Attachments

• CN-801HP Schematic.pdf
    21.9 KB · Views: 291
Thanks for that. I got it now. After i take the mod out ill post up if the pep comes up. If not then i guess ill live with the way it is. I got the meter for cheep so i cant complain.

Check the I.C. ( LM 384) that takes care for the PEP metering and don't forget to give the meter 12 volt through the receptacle to feed the active measuring system.
If the LM 384 is bust, it is cheap to replace.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.