• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

co-phase vs single antenna

I hope that this thread doesn't go awry. It was fun doing this with my son. I learned some things from it as well. People can take from it what they want. It isn't a perfect "solve the mystery" it just adds a piece of insight. I hope it doesnt start arguements. Then the thread will just get locked.

I hope that this thread doesn't go awry. It was fun doing this with my son. I learned some things from it as well. People can take from it what they want. It isn't a perfect "solve the mystery" it just adds a piece of insight. I hope it doesnt start arguements. Then the thread will just get locked.

Quality time with your kids is worth all the time in the world. That's the best thing that came of this experience.

I have been reading your results with interest. Cophasing for me brought no gain that I can tell with my Firesticks, but it did help with a safety issue on the plant road. I always had terrible signal headed up hill because the only antenna I had hooked up was the drivers side. And it was always against the mountain. Coming down hill I had no problems hearing the other trucks. After cophashing I hear the same as I did going down hill.

It would be interesting to see this same test with some pro equipment. I'd like to know what the difference is between the theory and the practice.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The greater distance showing higher reading on the receiving radio's S meter could have been as simple as the location being higher elevation, high concentration of salt in the ground, whatever. I don't know why some of the readings were the way they were. They just were. And the truck wasn't closer or farther at any of the given locations. I marked the ground with an X under the center of the truck. Each time I oriented the truck, I centered the truck over the X as to keep the same exact distance. And I never said that behind the cab is the best location for a single antenna. But the roof isn't always an option. If I had an antenna on the roof of that truck, it'd last about 10 minutes on the trail to my fishing hole. If you saw the dents on my roof, you'd understand. I did put dual antennas on my truck because they were free, and I didn't want my system to be directional. It was fun doing my testing. I know there are holes and variables. I'd have to test 100 locations to really have conclusive data. The one thing I do know, is the two antennas transmit better than the one. Firestiks, or Wilsons, or Everhardts may have different results all together. But my truck with my make and model antennas, mounted in their respected locations work better co-phased than not. And I don't think that it has more antenna gain, per say, but less loss.

Being that my current radio is out of commision in the Chevy, it frees up the Wilson 1K. I want to retest the Ford with the co-phase set up VS a Wilson 1K mounted center roof. I expect different results from that test, but we'll see.

Like I said, if you were closer I would have been happy to redo the same test with you. One set of tests does not make a solid conclusion. I would suggest repeating it multiple times in multiple locations. I know not everyone has that kind of time, but it is the only way to eliminate local variances...

I also stand by my statement that I simply don't like or trust s-meters for any kind of testing. Perhaps something else, such as a field strength meter near the vehicle in question.

I also hope you are not taking it personally and I am glad you and your son learned something. I tend to be very picky as to what I do and don't trust.

My experience working with antennas simply does not line up with your test results, even slightly. Also several instances of 2 s-unit gain throws up a red flag, not to mention the 3 s-unit gain result. A 2 s-unit gain is the equivalent of 16 times the power received over the lower result. 16 times! So what these results are saying is that there are times when adding a second antenna it will have the same effect as going from 4 watts to over 60 watts. The one 3 s-unit result is the effect of 64 times the lower results signal strength! To put that in perspective that is like going from 4 watts to over 250 watts! While I do say antennas are the most important part of any radio system, that type of gain by adding a second mobile antenna to your setup is simply not possible. If it were everyone would have been doing it since its discovery decades ago.

Is it possible that there is some unknown variable(s) at play? Yes.

Would such an unknown variable allow for that much of a difference? Highly unlikely.

Do I suggest you use what you learned to refine and improve your testing method? Yes definitely.

The DB

Also several instances of 2 s-unit gain throws up a red flag, not to mention the 3 s-unit gain result. A 2 s-unit gain is the equivalent of 16 times the power received over the lower result. 16 times! So what these results are saying is that there are times when adding a second antenna it will have the same effect as going from 4 watts to over 60 watts. The one 3 s-unit result is the effect of 64 times the lower results signal strength!

The DB

I'm not offended at all. This is a good discussion. I do think that if my results were reversed, not one person would mention variables. They would simply say they told me so. I think that being I am going against the grain to popular thought, I will hear every reason as to why my test is bogus. I could retest 100 times and probably still have the same responses. Its ok though. This is a subject that really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of life. It just kept my son and I occupied on a day that I didn't have work.

Now you are looking at the increase in the S meter all wrong and your statement is true yet deceiving. What if the dbi gain of the two antennas gave a final transmission strenth of 16W, but with the one antenna it adversely had a dbi loss giving a final TX of 1W? There is 2 S units without wild output numbers like 64W vs 4W. CBRADIOMAGAZINE did a review of a Maco 5/8 wave antenna and got a 2 S unit gain over an Imax. So it isn't uncommon at all to see increases in output from one antenna system to another. You can look at it however you want. You can say it is because unknown variables. But we live on millions of pounds of soil, rock, metal, etc. We spin at some 12,000 miles an hour while rotating, along with 7 other planets, around a giant fireball. Our whole universe is an endless series of variables. And those variables all gave me stronger transmitt with two antennas over using one. How much stronger, in S units, is irrelevant to my point. My point is that it is just stronger. NEVER did the single antenna put a higher number on the receiving radio's meter. Not once.

I'm wondering if you got any readings that were considerably lower than with the use of just a single antenna? In a different direction?
Antennas can't make a signal stronger, can't add any power to the signal. They can only redirect portions of the radiated signal from certain directions to other directions. That means that while the resulting signal will be louder/stronger in particular directions, it will also be correspondingly weaker in others. A result of the antenna's radiation pattern being changed.
- 'Doc

I'm not offended at all. This is a good discussion. I do think that if my results were reversed, not one person would mention variables. They would simply say they told me so. I think that being I am going against the grain to popular thought, I will hear every reason as to why my test is bogus. I could retest 100 times and probably still have the same responses. Its ok though. This is a subject that really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of life. It just kept my son and I occupied on a day that I didn't have work.

I would have, simply because the changes referred to are to great and would have thrown red flags for me either way.

Now you are looking at the increase in the S meter all wrong and your statement is true yet deceiving.

How is it deceiving? To change nothing but the power output it takes four time the power difference to change 1 s-unit. That is a 6db gain over the lower power. The next s-unit is the same way. Each s-unit requires four times the power of the previous s-unit. So what a 2 s-unit increase is saying is the new antenna is receiving 12 db gain over the lower power rating, which is a multiplier of 16 times. That is how your s-meter is supposed to work, they are notoriously unreliable. In essence you are saying that the two antennas together over the single antenna are either transmitting or receiving 16 times the effective power in the directions in question, and in your case this happened in multiple directions. There is no power multiplication happening as the two antennas have to share the same source. We are talking exponential gains here. Is it possible that in your case the antennas transmit and receive better? Yes. 2 s-units worth? Not without also adding an amplifier.

What if the dbi gain of the two antennas gave a final transmission strenth of 16W, but with the one antenna it adversely had a dbi loss giving a final TX of 1W?

What happens with antenna systems that have a gain over another antenna system is not the overall power output but a manipulation on where that power is being sent. The DBi scale is based on the theoretical isotropic radiator, which transmits equally up, down, left, right, front, back and everything in between all at the same time from a single point in space. As you lengthen the antenna its radiation patter changes, less of the given power input goes up and down and is redirected out to the horizon. This happens up into the low 20' range (depending on how wide the antenna is). There is not more power being transmitted, it is simply being focused in fewer directions.

Adding a second antenna to an existing setup does not change how much effective power is pointing at the horizon, it does change where the power is pointing. In the case of a cohpased system that additional power is pointing on a line that runs between the antennas running to the front and the back. This comes at a sacrifice of the power being radiated to the sides (90 degrees either way from the line mentioned before). If more power is being sent in one direction it has to come from another direction.

There is 2 S units without wild output numbers like 64W vs 4W. CBRADIOMAGAZINE did a review of a Maco 5/8 wave antenna and got a 2 S unit gain over an Imax.

Comparing a comparison with mobile antennas to a comparison of base antennas is the same as comparing apples to oranges. The overall gain differences of the two sets of antennas being put forth is significant. Mobile antennas have very little DBi gain, the much longer base antennas have much more. With the base antennas they are comparing two very different antennas with very different properties and design specifications. In your case you are adding an antenna to an existing setup, this is also apples to oranges.

So it isn't uncommon at all to see increases in output from one antenna system to another. You can look at it however you want. You can say it is because unknown variables.

The problem with that is the theory in question that your numbers are not even close to is well tested and well documented. Unknown variables, while they will certainly have an effect, will not have that much of an effect.

Even if such an an unknown variable would have that much of an effect, the variable is unknown, and moving the vehicle, sometimes even a 20 or 30 feet could potentially reverse all of your finding.

But we live on millions of pounds of soil, rock, metal, etc. We spin at some 12,000 miles an hour while rotating, along with 7 other planets, around a giant fireball. Our whole universe is an endless series of variables. And those variables all gave me stronger transmitt with two antennas over using one.

But 2 s-units difference, an effective receive change in the receiving radio of 16 times over the lower received signal? I'm sorry, not that much. Those numbers are to great.

How much stronger, in S units, is irrelevant to my point. My point is that it is just stronger. NEVER did the single antenna put a higher number on the receiving radio's meter. Not once.

So your giving up on your numbers with this statement and just saying it transmits stronger now? Well, this is a free country and you are allowed to believe what you want to believe.

Man I wish we were closer, I would love to do a similar test on your vehicle with a field strength meter.

The DB

Reactions: BJ radionut
Already starting with the attacks I see, you don't wait around do ya...

As you should have, but then you are comparing apples and oranges... So how would you compare your yagi beam setup with your enfire beam setup?

So it was tuned to be more broadbanded? Why not simply tune for best gain? Antennas used for this type of setup will be plenty broadbanded as it is...

I'm glad you are happy with it.

The DB

tuning for best gain is only good for keydowns , swr starts rising up .

a yagi beam is way different because you are talking usally on a base with one of those . 2 coil antenna's is what we usally ride around in on a surbaban using the roof as a groundplane , and more coax to dictates what phase angle you want to achieve when using dual hotts . ;)(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1