• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Coax cable

You remined me another point about mobiles that was on the tip of my tongue...bigger coax cables tend to have a little more physical durability in mobile applications.

Well, I run solid core where I can, not through vent windows or doors of course. I’ve ran LMR400uf in mobiles before but it was really overkill and pointless in my opinion. Started using 240 and haven’t looked back. Now if there would be a real need for the 400, by all means, drag out the spool and here we go...

Reactions: 2NC995
Well, I run solid core where I can, not through vent windows or doors of course. I’ve ran LMR400uf in mobiles before but it was really overkill and pointless in my opinion. Started using 240 and haven’t looked back. Now if there would be a real need for the 400, by all means, drag out the spool and here we go...

Nah, not going that far. I think I actually agree with you on this.

I’m more so comparing the fragility of RG58 to RG8x or better.

RG58 works dandy (at least at low power levels), but it’s fragile.

Absolutely. Bigger is not always better, regardless of what she said.

I just like double shielded coax for the peace of mind later down the road, I don’t like come-backs or do-overs. And 240 works beautifully for this in mobile installs.

Reactions: 2NC995
Ahh no you don't want to do this. The antenna will have zero ground plane to work off unless you create a counterpoise

Isn’t there presumably a counterpoise if the antenna is mounted to a 40’ pole?

The pole could be plastic, I suppose. But at 40’ I tend to doubt it.

Isn’t there presumably a counterpoise if the antenna is mounted to a 40’ pole?

The pole could be plastic, I suppose. But at 40’ I tend to doubt it.

And just who is it that presumes this fallacy? No counterpoise equals NO COUNTERPOISE regardless if it is mounted on the ground or on a 100 foot pole or anywhere in between.

Reactions: midnight special
I assume that if he’s mounting it on a 40’ pole, that is most likely metal.

I posed as a question for a reason, and it wasn’t to be blasted.

I assume that if he’s mounting it on a 40’ pole, that is most likely metal.

I posed as a question for a reason, and it wasn’t to be blasted.

Wasn't blasting anything. Just clearly stating things as they are, Three or four elevated radials will perform MUCH better than simply mounting in on a pole. The pole is not tuned and will not function anywhere near as an effective counterpoise.

Reactions: midnight special
Wasn't blasting anything. Just clearly stating things as they are, Three or four elevated radials will perform MUCH better than simply mounting in on a pole. The pole is not tuned and will not function anywhere near as an effective counterpoise.

Well, I’m certainly not going to complain about good input for the OP. That’s what it’s all about.

I’ve been of the understanding - admittedly not knowledgeable on the theory - that the elevated radials were primarily to resolve impedance mismatch.

I would think that a 102” vertical on a metal pole would be roughly equivalent to a vertical dipole? It won’t achieve a 50 ohm match, but should work, and does have a counterpoise.

Is this correct?

**This does require that I assume the pole is metal. At 40’ tall, that seems likely to me.

Reactions: Cody Dixson
Mobile antennas are rather limiting, No gain, no height. Add in polarity issues and it is an uphill fight all the way. Gain, Height, Power, Mode and natural propagation conditions! No magic!

If you absolutely want the best chance at the best get a 108" steel whip from MFJ and 18' of LMR400UF. If that does not do it for you nothing will short of adding a base station ground plane.LOL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.