• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

coax choke info

B

BOOTY MONSTER

i was surfing around and found a interesting thread over at QRZ about coax chokes and common mode currents . W8JI had a few gems he shared and a nice link to a graph about coax chokes . i thought i post links to both the thread here and the graph/info .

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=248458

heres a few of his nuggets that i found interesting ...
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"The conditions that must exist for no feedline radiation or common mode are:
With an unbalanced line the shield has to have zero voltage to other areas of the shield outside the shield everywhere along the shield, and has to have exactly equal and opposite currents flowing into and out of the center and shield at each end.
even 4 quarter wave radials on a groundplane is the voltage from the common point to other areas downstream on the coax is not zero, so a current flows on the outside of the shield.
I learned how bad that effect was designing a commercial groundplane antenna for use near six meters, and when measuring elevated radials. With only four radials a substantial current could flow over the feedline shield.

Common mode is not caused by high SWR. It is caused by less than perfect ground."
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

so even though more than 4 four elevated ground elements may have no noticeable effect on our tx and rx having a bunch more could/would eliminate CMC,s ,,,,,, if im understanding this correctly . so it seems that since thats not practical for a elevated antenna then a choke is necessary , not just a option .

he also provided a link to info on air and ferrite core chokes . thank you G3TXQ :)
Common-mode chokes

G3TXQ says that air core chokes are only reactive (which i honestly dont truly understand what that means) . but i was surprised when he said ......

"Reactive chokes have the disadvantage that they can "resonate" with a CM impedance path that is also reactive but of opposite sign - in some cases actually increasing the CM current flow rather than choking it;"

when i was talking with eddie/marconi over the weekend we discussed my coax choke plan of using 10 or 12 wraps and he said he thought 4 or 5 might be better for me . this graph supports that and if im reading/understanding it correctly using 10-15 wraps on the 4 inch former i have would have actually increased any CMC issues that i may have . i found this pretty interesting as i didnt think you could have to much choke coil , but there is a optimal amount for a given bandwidth/ frequency span . there also seems to be a optimal size as well considering the 7 inch air chokes really increase the CMC's on 11 meters since its off the scale with a narrower bandwidth of use than the smaller choke .

if someone can confirm im understanding correctly id appreciate it ;)
heres G3TXQ article and graph .
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

"The following chart presents the results of impedance measurements made on a variety of common-mode choke implementations across the frequency range 1MHz to 30MHz. Amateur frequency allocations are indicated approximately by the vertical grey bands.

The colours of the bars indicate the magnitude of the CM (common-mode) impedance; however, depending on the style of choke and the type of ferrite material used for the core, that impedance might be mostly Resistive, mostly Reactive, or somewhere in between. The black bars at the bottom of the coloured bars indicate the range of frequencies over which the choke impedance is predominantly Resistive - that is Rs>Xs. No black bars are shown for the air-cored chokes because their impedance is almost entirely Reactive apart from a very small band of frequencies around resonance.

Reactive chokes have the disadvantage that they can "resonate" with a CM impedance path that is also reactive but of opposite sign - in some cases actually increasing the CM current flow rather than choking it; Resistive chokes have the disadvantage that if they have insufficient impedance to reduce the CM current to a very low value, there may be significant core heating.

Aim to choose a choke which has a high impedance and is Resistive over the frequency range of interest.

I hope to add more data as I make further measurements."

Attachments

• choke_impedances.jpg
    choke_impedances.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 42

booty,
many people see the hf ugly baluns on ham universe or similar sites and wind a choke much too large for optimal choking impedance @27mhz,
just under 5 turns of 213 diameter coax on a 4-1/4" former is about right for cb, the experimental choke in my sig is spaced around the fiberglass mast;)

so i did understand the graph correctly . i was staring at it so hard trying to figgure it out it almost started looking like a kaleidoscope . LOL

i got a coupler for 3 inch PVC pipe from lowes and its exactly 4 inches in diameter on the ouitside . im gonna put 5 wraps of 8x on it directly under that antennas coax feed point . i put the coupler in the microwave (1000 watter) on high for 30 seconds and it didnt feel any warmer ;) .

Booty,

I thought you were the guy that was good at digging up the info from the old threads ;)

http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/48415-ugly-balun.html

You are reading it correctly, for CB it's just the very bottom bar on the graph you need to look at, and it shows 5 turns optimal on 26MHz, so as Bob said, somewhere between 4 and 5 turns will be optimal for 27 MHz.

G3TXQ says that air core chokes are only reactive (which i honestly dont truly understand what that means)

Without trying to get too deep into it, what he is trying to say is that the "resistance" created by the air choke consists of inductance (or capcitance, or both), and no DC resistive element, just the same way as your tapped coil works on your 5/8th wave, it appears as a DC short, but resistive to AC (RF).

LOL , thanks simon .
im a full time fat man and a part time idiot . ;)

i was reading W8JI's post and he linked to G3TXQ's article . i thought i had seen the graph befor , but i couldnt make heads or tails of it . this time it kinda started making sense ....so hence this thread . i guess i forgot the ugly balun thread .

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL , thanks simon .
im a full time fat man and a part time idiot . ;)

i was reading W8JI's post and he linked to G3TXQ's article . i thought i had seen the graph befor , but i couldnt make heads or tails of it . this time it kinda started making sense ....so hence this thread . i guess i forgot the ugly balun thread .

That is the article (chart) I tried to describe to you the other day when we talked about your choke idea.

booty,
many people see the hf ugly baluns on ham universe or similar sites and wind a choke much too large for optimal choking impedance @27mhz,
just under 5 turns of 213 diameter coax on a 4-1/4" former is about right for cb, the experimental choke in my sig is spaced around the fiberglass mast;)

Nice setup Bob,

Fiberglass mast and the way you mounted the choke. Could one still just tie strap the choke to one's mast though? Was it a performance move you made? or just the way you mounted it?
Nice antenna, a Vector correct? 3/4 wave? I'm looking for a better antenna and was considering a Y-quad, but the Y-quad they say is strictly an 11 meter antenna. Is the Vector good for say 10 & 12 meters? I have a lot of reading to do, and so little time. Love your antenna though, an uside down astroplane with a vertical to boot. Strange looking, but I bet it's killer.

J.

so i did understand the graph correctly . i was staring at it so hard trying to figgure it out it almost started looking like a kaleidoscope . LOL

i got a coupler for 3 inch PVC pipe from lowes and its exactly 4 inches in diameter on the ouitside . im gonna put 5 wraps of 8x on it directly under that antennas coax feed point . i put the coupler in the microwave (1000 watter) on high for 30 seconds and it didnt feel any warmer ;) .

Booty, Why would you put the coupler in the Micro? Have you flipped? Tell me there is a valid reason. I'm guessing it's a joke.

J.

cominatyalive,
That's an old way of finding out if something, such as PVC, has metal in it. Is it a good way of finding out? Not really, but it does work.
- 'Doc

Booty, Why would you put the coupler in the Micro? Have you flipped? Tell me there is a valid reason. I'm guessing it's a joke.

J.

By putting the piece in the microwave, BTW you should also include a glass of water with it as well to absorb the wicrowaves and prevent damage to the microwave oven,you will be able to see if the piece is suitable for use in an RF application. If it gets warm it should not be used as it is absorbing the RF which is something you do NOT want to happen.

like cap'n kilo and COB said just checking for metal conductive materials . i did the same with a piece of plastic lumber that i use for the section of my home brewed 5/8 that everything connects to . itll get hot if theres any in it which means its not a good insulator . if a former is used with an air coax choke it needs to be made of non-conductive material .

I wouldn't have a problem winding RG-8X, RG-58/59 and other coax in that size range on a 4-1/2 coil form, but for the 0.405" cables (9913, RG-213/214, RG-8, etc), that's just too tight. I'd use a 4" RADIUS, which means an 8" DIAMETER.

I've seen what happens when a high powered HF transmitter's transmission line happens to be bent too sharply. It ain't pretty. I adhere pretty closely to the Navy's cable installation guidelines for a reason.

This has worked for me, use a 100' of RG 8 or RG213 I use a pushup pole that was made out of EMT tubing from Home Depot, my A99 is 36'+ to the bottom make a choke using about 7 to 8 coils of the coax using 21' of the coax and tie the choke off close to the antenna as practical, I have no problems at all using 500+ watts on 10 through 12 meters with any kind of RFI in my house or any of the other houses in my area, also make sure the radio you are using if on AM is less than 100% modulation on peaks, then your go to go, if you get a complaint bet it something on there end that needs a choke on it.............KB6HRT

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.