• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Coax jacketing and sun Polyethylene v PVC?

20201029_134826.jpg Screenshot_20201016-113655_Chrome.jpg
I used 25’ of the DX-E version of RF Davis Buryflex as contributor Redbeard U812 had done this and and it had helped in not picking up stray noise (for him). (DX-E 400MAX).

I figured I could also use it at home.

Not what I would want where true flexibility is wanted. My routing involved one bend of note to go from the back of the sleeper exterior and then up thru past the bunk to the cab.

Let’s say the stiffness was an asset in keeping it out of the way.

Today I’d rather have something very flexible. (No more RR to FF thru-truck routing).

RG8X isn’t perfect but it’s more than “good enough” for the main coax run plus jumpers in the 579 Peterbilt where I’ve used it.

My jumpers (at present) are RG-8X (DX-8X). And, to start over I believe I’d use their DXE-8U for the big truck.

The 7505v I own will go in the pickup. (I’d like to have a 7405v for the Pete). I prefer all parts for any given rig of three be interchangeable.

UV Resistant
split loom is the answer to outdoors while mobile, IMO. I find I prefer it for every item gone to the exterior.

Flame Resistant for interior or under hood runs of power & coax.

In fact I cover every run of every type with split loom.

A few zip-ties (each end plus center), and TESA Wire Loom Harness Tape over ends before connector.

I like the “look” and that abrasion or dirt concerns are minimized with “assembled” runs.

I recently did some RF Bond jumpers this way. (17) discrete parts per jumper before assembly begun.

Thank you, Slow. You mentioned redbeard, what ever happened to that guy, I was just thinking about him yesterday being he's also in Texas.

You say split loom, I'd considered that too but thought I'd ask around about other coax options as well. My uv exposure will mainly only be to about a foot as the rest will be under a panel, right in front of the door with a short part going into the engine compartment then right through a very convenient plug in the firewall finally inside the cab after that. Freightliner gives an unused plug in the firewall as if they knew us cb truckers would be doing that. I've got about 100' of tramflex rg8x but there's something that will last longer I'm up for that too.
I like your idea of adding the loom harness tape so that'll be incorporated for sure.

Here's a picture of the actual trucks mounting location along with the mount to give you an idea about how much is exposed. I wish the mirrors weren't on the doors, that's a lot of flexing with repeated door opening.

Attachments

• 20201029_134818.jpg
    20201029_134818.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
I ran the coax thru (with) the electrical going OUT from cab and to the door. Then out and around to mirror from that gap. No real flex problem. (That pic elsewhere. Search my posts where I mention FL Caucasia).

Firewall would be better.

Split-loom protects the whole run. I believe it important. It takes any abuse, not the cover. (Sane for power; even more important).

It also makes the addition “invisible”.

(Same mounts I used).

Reactions: Eldorado828

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.