• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Coax length question !

Tumbleweed59

Mar 21, 2011
Lufkin,Texas
I am needing to know something about my new setup. If it would hurt my Galaxy 2547 and my other equipment if I ran a total of 200ft. of RG-213 coax to my Mancave. Thanks for the help !!

Thanks for the reply ! I was told I would loose something along the way.Now I can put it in a high pine tree and will not have to buy a tower !!

You asked if it would hurt anything not if you will lose some signal. Nothing will happen to your equipment, even if you used 1000 feet of cable, but you will see some loss in both receive and transmit. That loss is not really that bad at CB frequencies even with 200 feet of coax but it will be about half an S-unit with 200 feet of RG-213. That slight loss will likely be more than offset by the added height.

Thanks for the reply 359! So I guess I need to stay with the tower and keep the coax at 100ft ? :eek:

Well, the loss @ 200' is 2db and 100' is 1db, or a difference of 1db. So as the Capt. said, if the additional 100' of feedline allows you to mount your antenna higher, you will more than offset that loss in all likelihood.

Thanks for the responses from all of you. This is why I am getting back in the hobby, Good folks communicating and helping strangers when needed ! Hope I can help you guys with something someday ! God bless !!!!

I am needing to know something about my new setup. If it would hurt my Galaxy 2547 and my other equipment if I ran a total of 200ft. of RG-213 coax to my Mancave. Thanks for the help !!

Do you have the antenna mounted around the block or do you not know how the solder a PL259 so you can shorten it up?

Robb, I wish it wasn't but yes.. The pine tree I will be putting it on is at 70 plus feet. The base of the tree to the base of my house is 60ft. Then I have another 60ft. to my office where the radio will be in my house.. Thanks for the response !!!!(y)

that 70 ft feedpoint height will more than make up for any coax loss in a 200 ft run .
we should all be so lucky to have your "problem" ;)

what antenna will you be running up there ?

I'm in a similar situation. My tower is 60 feet or more from the house up on a bank, and then the run up the tower.
The additional height is worth the loss IMO.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.