• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

"COAX RF CHOKE"vs BALUN

unit_399

EL CAPO
Jun 17, 2008
ALEJANDRIA, COLOMBIA SA
The following quote is from the SIGNALENGINEERING/ULTIMATE web site

"You can try to eliminate this situation (called "Common mode currents") by winding an "RF Choke". Wind about 6ft of RG-213 or RG-8 into a coil (6 to 8 turns). For RG-58 use 4ft with 6 to 8 turns. Wind the coax up, placing each turn right next to one another. Use electrical tape to secure turns together. You should place these as close to the antenna as possible. Right at the antenna coax connection point being optimum."

Does this really work? Is it as good as installing an actual Balun? I have my beam ready to put up, and I want to get it right the first time.

Coax chokes do work for reducing common mode stuff. And a coax choke can help with going from a balanced to unbalanced condition, what baluns do. Won't help with any impedance transformation ratio.
Baluns do work (balanced to unbalanced thingy), but first, is your beam balanced to start with? If it uses some type of matching device, gamma match, whatever, no, it isn't. If it's directly fed, yes it is, and a balun might be a good idea. If it uses one of those matching devices, you should adjust that device to do the impedance transformation, not put a balun in there. Good place for a coax choke though, maybe.
Just have to have a balun? Make it a 1:1 balun, and you'd better make it a big one cuz most are 'over-rated' as far as power handling is concerned.
- 'Doc

Can you tell I'm not a fan of baluns?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.