• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 142 gtl/ freq counter help

airplane1

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 15, 2005
Lebanon county PA
I Got this 148 gtl from a friend who was going to throw it away because he did a no no to it and it stopped working, I said no give it to me I will try and fix it. He has a pile of electronics on his desk, some take 12 vdc and others take 110 ac. What he did was put the same connectors on every piece that he has and one night plugged the 110 ac into the 148 and it stopped working, no smoke or sparks just will not work.

I checked the fuses in cord and they are fine, checked inside and no burn marks of any kind and no burnt smell. I tried to check all the diods around the power plug but nothing looks abnormal.

OK, what would 110 ac do to it? any ideas on it? It is in very nice cosmetic condition and was working great till.

thanks,
AP

Are you sure it would be all that?

D-56 is a 1n4003 diode found near the power plug if it is a 148.
Remove it. Then hook up the proper power plug and be sure to properly phase the +/- power wires for a test; then see if it works. DO NOT hook up the wires w/o a diode in it - if you aren't certain. That diode is about $.05 in cost; or pull one from a scrap radio. But if the radio doesn't light up; then it is most likely fried . . . but I doubt it will work . . . it got 110v of ALTERNATING current for approx 1/60th of a second; plenty of time to do the damage . . .

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.