• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 142 GTL, lots of issues

Definitely sounds like something else has gone south, but I can't be an awful lot of help, since I don't have the radio in front of me... I'll try to get you in a certain direction after the T-giving holiday, ok??

~Cheers~

Definitely sounds like something else has gone south, but I can't be an awful lot of help, since I don't have the radio in front of me... I'll try to get you in a certain direction after the T-giving holiday, ok??

~Cheers~

Roger... you have a good Turkey Day, off the wall thought... Do the people of Turkey have a 'turkey' day?

any new ideas from anyone?

w know that the VCO is working, since the VCO coil can be tuned, so that means it has to be a PLL issue of some kind

Well I finally got all my other work done. A few weeks ago I had a damaged Washington given to me. Using that Washington's PLL I was able to bring this radio back to life.

I am thinking about snagging the Washington's 11.1125 mhz crystal as well. That way I could get rid of the 11.3258 MHz crystal. I'm willing to bet that would make my life easier.

I think that the RCI chip that Exit13 sent me might have been dead :( Oh well it was free after all, and beggars, like myself just can't be choosers.

Either way I figured it out for the most part. Now it's time to mod this radio up and make it stroke. Hmmm... should I pull the old 1969 final from the Washington OR should I go with the IRF520 conversion? I have just shy of 200 International Rectifier IRF520 mosfets laying around.

Years ago I had a Teaberry that had a cold solder joint from the board to the center of the S0-239 coax connector and did exactly as you're describing.

cobra 142 gtl

have you checked your "audio chip" it might be that. it"s located right next to the power regulator I would start from there

Old thread, but just for an FYI...

Keep in mind that the PLL control voltage on the RCI chip is 5 volts, not 8 volts like the MB8719. You'd have to install a resistor inline, or use a LM7805 +5V regulator to supply the 5 volts needed to make that RCI PLL function correctly.

~Cheers~

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.