• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 142 GTL No AM Carrier

Mike Jones

Mar 6, 2018
Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me figure this out, I have a Cobra 142 GTL which had a week AM Carrier: 1.7 watts so I looked up AM Power adjustment and it points to VR6

I open the radio, try as I might unable to locate VR6 however I find 2 variable resistors not labeled near VR7 so I try the 1st one and no improvement, put it back to where it was previously adjusted as far as my eyes and memory can tell me, then I move on to the next unlabeled VR, move it, check meter and nothing, then I notice I have no carrier power at all but the meter swings to about 9 watts with modulation and no carrier, just like it's on SSB, no carrier on AM now but it swings to 9 watts with modulation with a good radio check from a neighbor.

I can't get it back to my 1.7 watt carrier no matter how I adjust those 2 unlabeled VR's... any ideas?

73's

--Mike

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.