• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 142GTL recap

As long as it can hold up - cap looks OEM but has it been replaced?

Why do I ask?

That radio hasn't been made in nearly 20 years - means much of the OEM parts that still had some type of electrolyte or read as non-solid material in them, has aged...

Some are like fine wine,
giphy.gif
Powers up and down just fine...

Others? When they age are more like bitters - Vinegar...or even something like...

lab.gif

So either way, someone's going to try and spoil your party...

It's a good restoration project...

Now understand, some may say to replace the power supply or any given AM Regulation part, with an NTE - Enterprise part - there's nothing wrong with that, but please remember that they say the 1419 - many would say replace with an NTE37 - remember the COMPLIMENTARY issues of Darlington.

Many setups don't take too kindly to mixing NPN with PNP and vice a versa ...

The 2SD188 is an NPN - while a 1419 is also an NPN - remember the driver needs to be the same - else running into a very different carborundrum

Don't worry, Galaxy for all it's faults does prove the opposite is also true - but in Regulation - not much else.

Galaxy 8voltregulator.jpg

Choose the battles carefully.​

Attachments

• 2SD188DatasheetNPN.pdf
    184.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Holy cow .... That girl really knows how to choke it down, at least most of it ..... LOL ....
ANYWAY, Yes, I replaced all electrolytics and tantalums with Sprague Vishay parts of equal capacitance and a minimum of 35 Volt rating. As for the 1419 .... after reading all I could find about this radio, it was suggested to replace the 1419 with a GE-66 and if unavailable to use a NTE-152 (also NPN) , I went with the NTE-152, it is already installed in the radio as the AM regulator TR34, I have one more NTE-152 and wonder if I should put it in the power supply to replace the other 1419.

Reactions: Handy Andy
I forgot to mention...

Rc6790fc8b16367789e79981c9815a718

I went with the NTE-152, it is already installed in the radio as the AM regulator TR34, I have one more NTE-152 and wonder if I should put it in the power supply to replace the other 1419.

I will leave that with you to decide.

The 1419 is robust enough - but also realize the TAB is not heat sink-ed, so this relies more on the voltage drop across it's output and dissipation problem I spoke of earlier.

IF you touch the TO-220 tab while your TX ing - or use an Infrared thermometer - you can see the case get warm. It's normal FOR IT TO DO THIS, this setup is free air - if you feel there are problems or issues with the power increase, performance issue or any sort of power issue - check the thermal profile of this part during the operation - then work accordingly.

Last edited:
I will keep an eye on it. The radio seemed to tune up correctly this evening, working properly, made a couple local contacts (trucks passing thru cuz that's all there is at the moment) .... seems to be good and stable. In the other room idling away right now. Thanks for your assistance it is appreciated.
I guess now it is on to recap the trusty Cobra 135 .... but that's another story .... LOL

Reactions: Handy Andy
As long as it can hold up - cap looks OEM but has it been replaced?

Why do I ask?

That radio hasn't been made in nearly 20 years - means much of the OEM parts that still had some type of electrolyte or read as non-solid material in them, has aged...

Some are like fine wine,
giphy.gif
Powers up and down just fine...

Others? When they age are more like bitters - Vinegar...or even something like...

lab.gif

So either way, someone's going to try and spoil your party...

It's a good restoration project...

Now understand, some may say to replace the power supply or any given AM Regulation part, with an NTE - Enterprise part - there's nothing wrong with that, but please remember that they say the 1419 - many would say replace with an NTE37 - remember the COMPLIMENTARY issues of Darlington.

Many setups don't take too kindly to mixing NPN with PNP and vice a versa ...

The 2SD188 is an NPN - while a 1419 is also an NPN - remember the driver needs to be the same - else running into a very different carborundrum

Don't worry, Galaxy for all it's faults does prove the opposite is also true - but in Regulation - not much else.

View attachment 44406

Choose the battles carefully.​
I think I dated her in the late 1980's fun gal just not good for me!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.