• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 148 channels

zebbman

Aug 27, 2010
hello. maybe a question that has been covered before but i couldnt find an answer here. got an old 148 for nothing to do some learning on. found a mod for extra channels but wanted to do it without adding switches. i got the uppers by cutting the pink wire on the high lo switch which was going to c77 and attached it to pin 10 on the pll. left the ground where it was and presto....extra channels. i want to do the same using the bright dim switch for the lower channels. my dilema is which wires to cut and use to pins 11 and 12. theres 3 wires on that switch, a red, a black and a purple and also a resistor. of course for fear of blowing things up i figured id come here first. your help is greatly appreciated. peace

updated: ok, heres what i have found out. remove wires and resistor from bright dim switch. do the same on the high low switch. put a ground wire on the center post of each switch and ground to pin 18. run a wire from the high low switch to pin 10 and a wire from the bright dim to pin 11. ok no problem. what do i do with the wires from the bright dim. tape them off individually? this cant be as hard as im making it seem.

the bright dim switch doesnt need a ground. take the wires off and jumper the center wire to one of the others, depends if you want it bright or dim. i personally just jump at the board level. i dont like to let wires hangout.

take one wire and run it to the center of the switch and go to pin 11, take another wire and run to pin 12 and attach it to the top post of the switch.

you could run another wire from pin 17 to pin 10 for even more channels, it will take you into the 10m band (28mhz). another 3 position switch can be used for rc/able frequencys if you so desire.

ok. forgive me but this is my first try at a mod.

the bright dim switch has 3 wires on it. red, black and in my case purple. also a resistor. there are terminals on either side of the switch and those are wired together.
if i remove all those wires and the resistor my next step would be to wire middle terminal to pin 11 and top terminal to pin 12. mod complete. what about the lights. i assume they are now non working you said jumper to something

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.