• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 148 GTL D (China, newer 148) Alignment/Service/Mods

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Sep 25, 2010
Texas
Hello everyone, been a while since I been here (2013). Been hamming it up, mostly playing with SDR gear and old Shortwave rigs, not much TX time....

Anyway, a friend brought a 148 GTL D to me that he had jacked up the VCO voltage somehow when trying to do an alignment (I guess going off of the old side-mic 148 alignment instructions), the radio would only work on channels 26-40, a little tweak of the can by ear got it going again on all 40 channels. Anyhow, I was digging around looking for info on alignment, mods, etc for this rig and couldn't find anything specifically for it. Suggestions? Also wondering if in the new versions of this rig (as of late, like 2012-2015) if they had ever fixed the drifty and warbly SSB problems? I remember years ago playing around with one, instead of the old MB3756 (I think) voltage regulator the new rigs have the 3 pin 7808 regs or whatever in them. Any good source of info/mods/alignment?

Thanks!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.