• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 148 GTL

Grogan

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 1, 2011
Southern New Jersey
Years ago I had a cobra 148 and I know the new ones aren't the same. or are they? When this New RFX150 hits the street I might pick one up and screw it to a Cobra 184GTL. If the RFX150 is as simple as it looks to install.

Forget about the 148 GTL NightWatch/SoundTracker version. Receive is nice; transmit is awful. Better off with an older model with the 5-pin mic on the side of the radio. Or the Uniden Grant XL or LT; they are still excellent tho. Same chassis as the 148; but Undens are built solid/better and work as they should.

Reactions: 1 person
If you see a soundtracker turn around and run run really fast away from it!!! THEY ARE JUNK!!! If not junk today it will be tomorrow L:laugh:L!!

Reactions: 2 people
The 148s made over the past 15 years suck....the last good 148 was made in 1997.
As many times as this info has been posted on the forum, it's getting boring.

The 148s made over the past 15 years suck....the last good 148 was made in 1997.
As many times as this info has been posted on the forum, it's getting boring.

Posted a lot but still just an opinion. I have yet to see anyone back it up with some performance data.

Posted a lot but still just an opinion. I have yet to see anyone back it up with some performance data.

What performance data is required? They have audio that in no size shape, or form resembles the heavy audio of pre 1998 Cobra 148s.
You can count the number of people happy with their soundcrapper and later 148s on one hand....even if your hand has only 2 fingers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

Look at it like this since your a ham. Let's say that next year Yeasu contracts out with Maxon to build all their radio's. First thing they do is cheapen up the whole process by cutting corners, using lower quality and value parts and even removing some. You gonna be ok with this or will the value of the older better built Yeasu radio's go up?

There are Yenko and COPO versions of the Vega.....just to get you to the junkyard a bunch faster.

You'd be suprised what one is worth the little turbo four banger would move smokey yunick did the engines they where neat but kinda pointless

It's kinda like driving a Vega or Pacer. You don't need extrapolated data to realize its a piece of crap. Youz just feelz it.

One of the local guys I talk to on the CB "Hotrod" has a vega with a 454 with a big blower on top....all fixed up for the drag strip....900hp. :)

You'd be suprised what one is worth the little turbo four banger would move smokey yunick did the engines they where neat but kinda pointless

My older brother bought a brand new Cosworth vega back in the 70s....seen him beat a v8 impala with it....by a nose but he still beat him....it was a quick little car.....I drove it a few times.....it was black with chrome rims and would jump right out there when you got on it.:)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.