• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 148 is only putting out 2 watts on SSB?

Bring the radio to a competent technician, stay away from the so-called "technicians". Put the radio back to specs., you could achieve good results without butchering the radio. And for last there isn't bullshit in my writings, is true. :whistle:

Reactions: WillyB123
I tend to agree that if you haven't done this before and aren't willing to risk the radio; then leave it alone and send it to a tech. Like ExitThirteen, DTB, or others.

These suggestions I made may not even be the fix for the radio. It sounds like it might be; but there are other things that need to be tested. Have you looked up the voltage chart for the TX mixer IC and tested that first? If not; then do that if you feel like you can do it without screwing up your radio.

I think you should send it into a tech that can find the problem and fix your radio. You don't even have the nylon tuning screwdriver yet or other alignment gear for that matter . . .

Last edited:
I tend to agree that if you haven't done this before and aren't willing to risk the radio; then leave it alone and send it to a tech. Like ExitThirteen, DTB, or others.

This might not even be the fix for the radio. It sounds like it might be; but there are other things that need to be tested. Have you looked up the voltage chart for the TX mixer IC and tested that first? If not; then do that if you feel like you can do it without screwing up your radio.

I think you should send it into a tech that can find the problem and fix your radio. You don't even have the nylon tuning screwdriver yet or other alignment gear for that matter . . .

I just paid $15 shipping for the pos....would like to find someone local to tell me if it is worth fixing?

Dig this....I connected my dosy tc to it and it was swinging backwards....when I put the daiwa inline it swings forward.

I know my amp tech could fix it.....he fixes the cops and consumers and others radios.....but I have a feeling that he would not mess with a cb......the other guy around here that I trusted...closed his cb repair shop and went to work at a hospital where his electronic skills earn him a better living.

Reactions: WillyB123
I just paid $15 shipping for the pos....would like to find someone local to tell me if it is worth fixing?

Dig this....I connected my dosy tc to it and it was swinging backwards....when I put the daiwa inline it swings forward.

I know my amp tech could fix it.....he fixes the cops and consumers and others radios.....but I have a feeling that he would not mess with a cb......the other guy around here that I trusted...closed his cb repair shop and went to work at a hospital where his electronic skills earn him a better living.

Again, this may an alignment issue - or not. If it was my radio, I would see if it will align. If it doesn't; then I would seek out the problem area and look for a cause. You are still 'shooting in the dark' with this radio that seems to have serious flaws. The guy that sold and sent it to you from an eBay deal that said it was fine - is the problem source here. Sounds to me that he put his nose where it didn't belong and messed up this radio in ways that cannot be determined with casual discussion on a forum.

Having said that, if you have a DVM and can test the driver bias and final bias - you should. Adjusting the TX cans for peak output should also be done. But if you don't have the test equipment, tools, and experience to do it yourself; then I have to say that it is time to send it off to someone more qualified than yourself. If you have a local that can align it and fix it, then pay him to do so . . .

Last edited:
Again, this may an alignment issue - or not. If it was my radio, I would see if it will align. If it doesn't; then I would seek out the problem area and look for a cause. You are still 'shooting in the dark' with this radio that seems to have flaws. The guy that sold and sent it to you from an eBay deal that said it was fine - is the problem source here. Sounds to me that he put his nose where it didn't belong and messed up this radio in ways that cannot be determined with casual discussion on a forum.

Having said that, if you have a DVM and can test the driver bias and final bias - you should. Adjusting the TX cans for peak output should also be done. But if you don't have the test equipment, tools, and experience to do it yourself; then I have to say that it is time to send it off to someone more qualified than yourself. If you have a local that can align it and fix it, then pay him to do so . . .

I was talking to a cb tech on another web site....he told me if my watt meter swings backward on avg power setting it means the final is bad....that is exactly what this radio is doing....:(

Send it to Jim at Key CB, exit 78, I 69, Warren Indiana. He can fix it!!!! Dont send it to anyone else....

Bring the radio to a competent technician, stay away from the so-called "technicians". Put the radio back to specs., you could achieve good results without butchering the radio. And for last there isn't bullshit in my writings, is true. :whistle:

I can tell you get all your info from the internet and not a bit from actual experience.
Most CB radios and some exports will sound just fine after clipping the AM mod limiter. Clipping a limiter in quite a few exports will make the radios sound like crap.
You should know all this from your vast few weeks experience in CB radio.

Thats my point, look at the guy's radio. Someone clipped one resistor, messed with everything inside (RX, TX, PLL) and who know what more.

There's other ways to achieve that without butchering the radio.

VR-11 isn't working probably because the AMC circuit is disable.

There's the main reason why I told him to install back R131.

I don't comment more on this topic,

I'm here to make friends and help people when I can.

73's

(y)

From what I'm seeing so far, it almost sounds like it's an alignment issue. However, I have seen the C1969 finals go low gain in some of the older Taiwan radios. If the final goes low gain it can key up full power on AM, but won't have much for modulated output, and SSB power will be low. In some cases, a bad capacitor will also cause a problem. Hard to make out the issue if I don't have it on my bench in front of me. LOL

But if it were my radio, I'd get it put back to stock, undo any mods and give it a good alignment. Get it to square one before any troubleshooting is to be done. Good luck!

~Cheers~

I agree exit, make it stock and go from there. I do that with my stuff to fix it. It is easier to find a problem using the factory information if available, with a radio in factory configuration.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned