• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 148 mosfet irf 520

rainmaker

Jul 5, 2011
has any one tried using the irf 520's insted of the erf 2030 ? I tried using them and had bad luck. i know i need to up grade my regulator since it blowed but what else is wrong i wonder? I changed bolth tr 36 & 38 with the 520s to make it more complient. I fallowed the instructions to the lettter off of cbtricks. but i did find that it dosent state exactly witch side of r180 to solder it to. i assume the leg side of the vr adjustment. any one got an idea or a better lay out for this mod? :bdh:

There is no real electrical difference between those two components.

Did you install the correct companion device ('EN-369FN') with the MOSFET?

inside_en369dr.gif

You can make the companion device yourself (been there; done that).
Or you can buy them pre-made too.

CBTricks MOSFET Experimenter's Information Notes

http://www.cbtricks.com/miscellaneous/fet_papers/ekl/graphics/erf2030_148gtl_mod.pdf

The MOSFET replacement is not a direct replacement, as I am sure that you are already aware of that.

Have gotten MOSFET devices thru the mail that had failed.
They are extremely sensitive to static! . . .

Last edited:
cobra 148

that the same set up i looked at for the mod. i just used the 520s insted of the 2030s i went back and checked my work and replaced one of the mosfets and the am regulator that blowed. now I have lost voltage @ tp 7 & 8 during TX. hum. now whats wrong ? is there realy much difference in the 2030 vs. 520 ?

that the same set up i looked at for the mod. i just used the 520s insted of the 2030s i went back and checked my work and replaced one of the mosfets and the am regulator that blowed. now I have lost voltage @ tp 7 & 8 during TX. hum. now whats wrong ? is there realy much difference in the 2030 vs. 520 ?

There is no difference between the IRF and the ERF. They still need to use an insulator and heat sink compound. I would remove the MOSFET and check voltages on the board.

148 insolators

yup i installed new ones to be safe. this is one of the new 4 pin 148's same but diferent. I have 14 volts at idle @ tp 7 & 8 and checked d44 still no am power but i do have ssp power. only 15w. pep.

They are close enough... Chip at RCI says that the ERF2030 is kinda in between the IRF510 and the IRF520. I am not sure as I have not reviewed the specs sheets on all of them. But I DO know that people have used the IRF510, IRF520 and the ERF2030 in the same application with similar numbers on the meter.

I hope your 148 had blown finals to begin with. Makes no sense to do that to a working 148 in the first place.

148 no voltage @ tp7&8

it was working but it had 2 2166's it and i wanted to up grade my radio.
now i half to find why ive lost voltage at this point.

The 2166 is the driver, should have a 1969 final. Just put one of those in and be done. Such a fine radio does it really need an "up-grade"?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated