• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 148 nw st lsb tx adjustment

ak3383

Oct 31, 2008
Hello, could someone tell me where the lsb tx frequency adjustment point is located. The radio has never been tuned in any way and the lsb tx is a little off frequency.
Thanks, Russ noblesville, indiana

CH-1 AM ----------- Adjust L-23 for 34.7650 Mhz. +/- 20 Hz.
CH-1 USB ---------- Adjust L-59 for 34.7665 Mhz. +/- 20 Hz.
CH-1 LSB ---------- Adjust L-22 for 34.7635 Mhz. +/- 20 Hz.

Reactions: Steve_Buckeye
here is the procedure to align the radio.hope you have the equipment to do it with.

http://downloads.cobra.com/CB/Models/148-SERIES/148alignment.pdf
Thanks all that did the trick, it's on frequency and working great except for the night watch which of course is not working. Not sure what year these made in china 148 nw st radios were made but they definitely used cheap components. I changed the 4 1000uf electrolytics to new nichicons and one of the old chinese branded caps I removed was leaking fluid badly. I didn't mess with the am power, modulation or alc because of the trouble I've read about how the regulator isn't up to to the task, at least it still uses a mitsubishi made 2166 and 1969. All in all the radio was put together well and it seems to work but this is a good example of how to make a radio as cheap as possible and still function.

My USB pot doesn't even tune, Chinese piece of crap!
Are you are talking about CT2?
CT2 is a variable capacitor and MUST be tuned with a special nylon tuning tool.
You CANNOT use a metal tuning tool on a variable cap.

BTW, NEVER - and I do mean NEVER - use a metal tuning tool (eg: jewelers screwdrivers) for any of they adjustments on the cans. Only nylon tools; or you risk breaking the ferrite inside the cans. Ferrite is very brittle! Sure way to ruin a radio quickly. The nylon tool is cheap and can be found on eBay or other electronic part stores. You will need two different sized tips for working on cans and caps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve_Buckeye

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.