• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 148

9Lives

Oct 3, 2012
Today I should be getting my 148. This is my first radio I've owned other than a 29. I'm pretty electronically savy. Not pro but I am taking coarses. To my point.

When I saw the Darlington configuration in place of the modulation transformer I had to have one immediately. All the things I wanted to do to the 29 that I couldn't bc of that damn transformer. Not to mention all the variable setup inside the radio for power/carrier adjustment. I'm pretty excited to see how I can lower the power without pinching the carrier.

I would like to know what mods are good and which ones to stay away from. I want clean audio. No fog horn. This radio will be run with class c and ab boxes. Built by me.. I've learned me lesson from all the mosfet finals.
Is it true that the final needs volting? Clarifier unlocked? Regulator changes? Npc? Does it actually work (o have no scope yet.) I've done my homework and weed out some of the snake oil but some what unclear on these.

I will be using this for hifi so I will be changing out the caps. Thanks

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.