• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 148GTL-DX - what did they do??

Cutlass327

May 1, 2016
NE Ohio
Just acquired this radio, it is a PB010AB board. These pieces have been soldered on, back by the B754 transistor. Any ideas? My first thought was a swing kit, but usually that is over a missing jumper location. This is across some ceramic caps I think. Hard to tell, as the pieces are all crammed in there... i was tempted to just remove them, but being the B754 has been resoldered, I wasn't sure if it was part of a mod. I am pointing with my black tip screwdriver to the area they are connected.

Besides that stuff, they've removed TR32 and remote mounted VR13 (AM power).

My issue is this thing squeals. No matter what I do, it squeals when I key up. That I turn power down changes it some, but not mic gain, I want to remove the mods and get it talking again. I plan to take it to the local radio guy, but I figure if I can do some of it, I will.

Attachments

• 0225200021.jpg
    0225200021.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 37
  • 0224202324.jpg
    0224202324.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 35

That's a swing mod. Just remove all the parts off the PCB on the back side near the B754, and replace TR32, and you should be good to go. Pretty much guarantee that is why you're squealing.

~Cheers~
Yes, some mods are bad news, buy a good power mic and use a good antenna

148gtl is the best radio, very tunable but very dynamic, be very talented at mods,radio is pretty good already. Use a great power supply and power mic

Awesome. The radio guy said to remove them, put the jumper back in, but I wanted to know before I did. I'm taking it in Wed, didn't want to bother him too much beforehand.

Took them out, dk 8w or 9w, swings over 15w. Don't have a replacement for TR32 yet. Figuring the hack work in there, I'll have him do his thing now and see how it comes out.

Reactions: Redbeard U812
Took them out, dk 8w or 9w, swings over 15w. Don't have a replacement for TR32 yet. Figuring the hack work in there, I'll have him do his thing now and see how it comes out.
That thing was cranked up as an AM talker. Let it alone now. Let your tech get it back to stock. I say this cause I've got 3 148's all messed up, blown up, just plain f'd up. Two I know were cranked. The other has speech compressor in it, and probably got smoked from someone not knowing how to operate. All three are at the doctor's office rt now.

Reactions: Cutlass327

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.