• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 148GTL NW ST...

pede69

Sep 30, 2010
May I have some thoughts and opinions on this radio?

I just purchased one for 10 bucks.

Talks and receives just find. Just need to get the lights going. Meter and channel selector are all that lights up.

Also... I can hear myself talk through the speaker when I key it up. Sounds a bit muffled but everyone says it talks loud and clear.

I have noticed that all the sites that cover tons of radio mods and info do not have this specific model. Just 148GTL or 148GTL -D or something like that.

Wonder why this is?

Thanks,
John

Someone might have added a 'talkback' circuit to the radio. It is a simple mod and can be reversed easily if you are familiar with these radios. Or just go with it.

Never replaced the 'Night Watch' or 'NW' lamps in these radios - if that is what has failed. If you can see the meter lamp and the channel display, the radio works OK, and you only paid $10 for it - I'd say you did all right...

Thanks Robb...

Yeah, I did alright. I go to a lot of flea markets and yard sales and negotiate like a demon. hehe...

BTW... do you know where I can get a simple power mic amp circuit and a speech processor circuit. You know, the ones that go INSIDE the radio.

Thanks,
J

I would just use a really nice power mic on it - like the RF Limited CR-577 or a Astatic D104 Minuteman II. The RF limited mic is better - but they will both work wonders. The Turner +3 base or handheld power mics came with a built-in compressor - but are rare any more.

The 'TopGun'/brand speech processors/compressors aren't made for Cobra radios.
Maybe someone knows of a schematic for an onboard speech processor for a Cobra - like to see it myself.

Thanks Robb...

Just getting back into radio after 20 years. Back then I used to "Peak & Tweak" (that's what we called it then) all my fam & friends radios. Never made any freak mods but could have. I went to ITT tech for awhile before I quit and went into the navy.

I can certainly buy some power mic's but am kind of a DIY'er and would like to find a small chip driven amp circuit that I could just stick inside a standard mic, even If I have to change the mike condenser.

Thanks for the chat...

John :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.