• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 148GTL VS. Galaxy DX-949

****Length Edited for content ****

Ummm,...Can you please explain how any radio can be better for local or dx?
Are you saying different radios put out a different angle of radiation somehow???
I think it has more to do with the antenna and ground plane provided, than the radio.

He said it "picks up DX" better. He didn't say anything to do with putting out.

I have to say that with my radios, my Cobra 29 and my Uniden Grant both have less hiss than either of my Galaxy radios. So I can hear the weaker stations that are coming in on the noise floor. While the Galaxys just go Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Reactions: walterjn
Supposedly, if you put a ceramic brick power resistor of just enough resistance to make some heat to the AM/LSB/USB alignment cans in the new Galaxy radios they will stay on freq once warmed up because the heat from the large power resistor keeps the temperature stable in that area of the circuit board.

Anyone try it yet? Details? Pics?

I have a DX 959 (mosfet version) and I would try it on that radio because it blows chunks for staying on freq on SSB but I loaned it to a friend and haven't gotten it back yet, need to call him and get it back so I can experiment on it.

I've heard of guys attaching a small 12v wheat bulb to the crystal that controls the frequency. I guess when it starts drifting that's how you can tell the bulb blew out LOL

I have a dx-949 that was made in may 2011 that does not drift at all. Maybe the newer models have had this issue resolved. Either that or I got lucky.

I have a dx-949 that was made in may 2011 that does not drift at all. Maybe the newer models have had this issue resolved. Either that or I got lucky.

I have heard what you are saying as well, that the newest production runs don't drift BADLY, but still drift from cold-hot hot-cold etc, but only as much as might expect from an older radio not made in china.

Have you really used it on SSB? You won't notice the drifting on AM really, just on SSB.

I have heard what you are saying as well, that the newest production runs don't drift BADLY, but still drift from cold-hot hot-cold etc, but only as much as might expect from an older radio not made in china.

Have you really used it on SSB? You won't notice the drifting on AM really, just on SSB.

Yes, definitely used on SSB. Talked about a half hour once and neither of us touched the clarifier once.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.