• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 148GTL VS. Galaxy DX-949

I liked the comparison. Obviously there are people who like Galaxy and people who like the Cobra. If one was difinitively better, then the other would go out of business. It always comes down to trade off as to what some people find more important than others. I would like to see a comparison between a stock for stock, a comparison for to aligned radios, and full mod. For someone that is using an un molested radio, then quality control is definately an important factor.
Id like to see the match-up between the 929/919 Galaxy and the Cobra 29. I have one of each and have thought of doing my own contest but haven't found the time. Both still sound great, but I want to run the same astatic 636l mic on both radios, and hook them up to the same antenna/vehicle.

The way they are comparing as they sit in my two trucks:

The Cobra is in my 96 f150 with an astatic 636L NC mic running through co-phase 4' Archer top loaded fiberglass whips (on home-built mounts so that 2/3 of the whips above the cab).

The Galaxy 929 is in my 02 chevy 2500HD with an astatic 611L omni directional dynamic mic with ceramic cartridge that I re-wired for CB running into a Wilson 1000 mag mount.

I will say that the Cobra picks up DX as well as the Galaxy, even through the older than dirt fiberglass. Local is better on the Galaxy. I think it would even out if used on the same antenna. TX the Galaxy likes to bleed more than the Cobra, but they were modded at different shops. I am pretty sure that the Galaxy had a limiter clipped and the Cobra was a more recent purchase and was done right. That being said, both are loud and clear on transmit, but the Cobra is definately getting the edge. Crystal clear audio even with the gain all the way up, and all the power is going where it is supposed to (on channel). That is the difference between a proper tune and not, so the Galaxy isn't to blame for that. I would like to see my Galaxy tuned at the same place as my Cobra and retest. Both are really good radios, just different. The classic look of the Cobra definately matches up good with my hunting truck. The sleek look of the Galaxy is more fitting for my Chevy.

Something else I haven't found that I'd like to see a side by side comparison is new vs old. Philippines model Cobra vs. China model. Every one talks about the Philippines model being better (and I believe it is), but I want to see the actual results.

interesting thing is that RCI makes the 949/959 radios... however from what I was told they have a price point to hit and they cost cost in order to do so on the Galaxy radios. I'd be willing to wager that it's fixable if you compare the Ranger version of the 959 you should be able to figure out the drift issue

That being said letting it warm up is not that big of a deal like people make it out to be. My 959 stays on freq once it warms up. When it is cold it is a joke. I know the base version of the 959 stays on freq a lot better. Wonder what differences there are between the two radios.

Try putting a couple of LEDs, one on each side, taped to the crystal to keep it warm even when the radio is off.

Reactions: 1 person
Last edited:
Let's be serious here for a few minutes, if any of you guys like the Galaxy radios you must be using them on AM most of the time. I have had 2, I am a SSB only guy and to me both of them were usless on SSB, even with the calirfier unlocked I almost wore the chrome off the know trying to get it to stay on frequency. The 148 is old technology but stays dead on frequency on SSB all day long, yes most of the older SSB radios were built with better componets that's why they all work well today. I guess, really, money was or is the issue, cheap parts make drifting radios.

Let's be serious here for a few minutes, if any of you guys like the Galaxy radios you must be using them on AM most of the time. I have had 2, I am a SSB only guy and to me both of them were usless on SSB, even with the calirfier unlocked I almost wore the chrome off the know trying to get it to stay on frequency. The 148 is old technology but stays dead on frequency on SSB all day long, yes most of the older SSB radios were built with better componets that's why they all work well today. I guess, really, money was or is the issue, cheap parts make drifting radios.

I've never had a problem on SSB with my Galaxy.

Let's be serious here for a few minutes, if any of you guys like the Galaxy radios you must be using them on AM most of the time. I have had 2, I am a SSB only guy and to me both of them were usless on SSB, even with the calirfier unlocked I almost wore the chrome off the know trying to get it to stay on frequency.

I see you're in the cold country. I have no problem with mine here in Texas.

yes cold does seem to effect them a lot even at night my shack gets down to 55 to 60 degrees so in the morning I just didn't use it anymore, hooked up an old Grant or Magnum to talk in the early morning hours

Well put.

Can't afford to move to warmer climate so I guess I will just not buy anymore Galaxy radios, and I really like the features and big meter. With my hands getting in the old stiff mode I really don't want to mess with the clairfier anyway

If you want smoother sound & meter reading on the 148 on SSB, add a 470 microfarad capacitor across the back of the meter and it will move and sound like the slow AGC position on a ham radio. Make sure you have the polarity correct.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.