• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 148gtl whats it worth?

cbkidd1

May 3, 2005
pa.
Hi, I have a new old stock cobra 148gtl. Never been out of the box. Made in Malaysia. What do you think this is worth?

Last edited:

As much as someone is willing to pay for it...lol

Seriously though, I have a Malaysian made 148. They may not be as desirable as the Philippine-made unit -but nonetheless- still far better than the Chinese-made junk they are making now! Different as night and day. The really outstanding differences between what you have here and the new 'sound tracker' versions now being made - is that the SSB is vastly superior.

Since what you have is new - I would say that it might fetch as much as $175. These radios are equivalent to a cobra 2000GTL; it is exactly the same radio chassis w/o the meter and freq counter as the 2000GTL.

Nice radio. I would think 200 or more. If there was anything comparable available in current makes/models, maybe not so much. But you just can't buy an AM/SSB CB new that will compare to this radio, especially on the RX side.

something like that which has never been outta the box will fetch $175 all day long. id say around the $200 range would be reasonable. maybe a hair more?

With the way things are right now 125-200 is the realistic price range. Ya never know, take some nice clear pictures, type up a good add, and list it on e-bay. Could fetch 175-250 if played up right. You have to be willing to roll the dice and in big print say NO RESERVE..... ONE DOLLAR OPENING BID.

a malay $100-$125. the pcb was a direct copy of the uniden board but the components were not of the same quality. its hard to prove anything is nos these days. your talking about the one you had with the display segment out? its unfortunate but that is gunna hurt the price as youve seen. that knocks it down into the clean used range. $55-$95

I have a Cobra 148GTL-dx mkII that i don't use. It has the original orange box, mic, and bracket. I was told by the Cobra worxshopz that it is worth up to £150 in the Uk. They still make good money on e-bay.
Cobraworxshopz
It's not as good as my Magnum S9 though.

the dx and the 148 are 2 completly different radio's. your dx is our superstar 360. values dont interchange. the only thing the same is the cobra name.

nice radio by the way. not to common in the states as there illegal but soem have found there way over in the last 20 odd years.

the dx and the 148 are 2 completly different radio's. your dx is our superstar 360. values dont interchange. the only thing the same is the cobra name.

nice radio by the way. not to common in the states as there illegal but soem have found there way over in the last 20 odd years.

oh really, well heres my one on this site Cobra 148GTL-DX

we also have the superstar 3900 over here but too many people say there pants...

This is a hit and miss thing with economy and also finding the right buyer ? posting it in the right place at the right time. With so many new radios available today and affordable prices people tend to go that route but again if the right collector or person came upon this and was perhaps looking for one you may do ok in selling it.

I have had a few of these also damn near spotless condition and unfortunately sold them for $100.00 its up to you what to take as far as money or selling price but sitting on the will not always prevail thats why I didnt gamble with it if I h new I wasnt wanting it it was sold as long as I new I was not losing money I actually still have one with all kinds of mods done noise toys clarifier ETC someday it will eventually be pulled from the closet and sold Im sure.

we also have the superstar 3900 over here but too many people say there pants...

ya the dx wasnt realesed in the us, its illegal over here as its not a type accepted radio. the 148 dx used the same mainboard as the superstar 360fm. the 360fm was brought to us as an export radio (10m wannabe).

your cb frequencys are a little higher than ours and in fm, our cb frequencys are in am only. thats why the cool radios like you guys have we dont get.

heres what the 360fm looks like (fyi superstar is made by ranger communications or rci if you will)

S7001849.jpg

whoever is telling you the ss3900 is pants is talking pants,there is very little difference between the 3900 and the cobra 148 gtl dx/superstar 360fm it was modelled on.some people let nostalgia override reality.as for the 148 being worth a £150 thats just cobraworxshopz losing touch with reality,100-120 in mint boxed condition is much closer to reality.

As for your s9 being better than a cobra 148 gtl dx,in what respect is it better?
i can't see many people copying a magnum s9 in 20 years time let alone the 30 years now that almost every radio manufacturer since has copied the uniden pb010 boarded cobra 148 gtl dx/superstar 360 fm.

Carl I assume when you say the superstar is ranger made your referring to later 3900 types and not the 360fm which is uniden boarded.nice condition 360fm by the way.

older ones were made by rci, they used the uniden mainboard. texas ranger 696fd1's use a uniden pcb i believe.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.