• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 150 gtl dx NO RECEIVE

JSTAHNKE81

Jul 25, 2008
OK, So i bought a brand new Cobra 150 GTL DX, i turned it on and everything seemed to work fine (ofcourse, it only receives 10 meters out of the box which is dead around here) Anyway, i then preceded to remove R138 which opens up the CB band. I turn it back on and everything is fine (im 100% SURE IT IS NOT ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE R138 MOD, I WAS VERY CAREFUL) Except....there is NO SIGNALS coming in. I here static next to nothing ofcourse wiith no antenna, but when i put in the coax the static jumps up like everything is fine. Basically it is acting as if it receiving on some random unused frequency because i am getting an S3 in noise, JUST NO STATIONS COMING IN!!! Its driving me nuts, cant figure this out. By the way, i tested the TX on my scanner that goes down to 29MHZ. It is DEFINETLY transmitting (atleast above 29mhz) SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP, I AM TOTALLY DUPED ON THIS ONE!!! Any and all help is appreciated, thanks!
progress.gif

The mod you performed is quite easy; as long as you didn't burn the traces around it. The frequency range it should cover after the mod starts on band A at 26.065 mhz up to band D at 29.695 mhz. To listen to regular cb band you would need to be on channel B and AM on the band selector as well as having the channel selector should be in the second of the 80 channels offered on band B. Your display should show .1 through 3.9 and then click to channel 1 through 40 would be regular cb channels. If not recieving anything after that then call Cobra to get the address to the service center in TN along with your reciept. Regardless if you have done the conversion or not they will cover it, and in most cases they will not change it back to factory, but it is a possiblity. Good luck because this is a SMT(surface mount technology) board you will most likely be unable to find anyone who will work on it.

Are you serious dude, they will fix it FOR FREE?!?!?!? Seems too good to be true. I have everything like new box and all, but i do not have the receipt. Also, i thought back in the 90's they wouldnt accept any radio that showed signs of being open (wear on the screws) If this is true, i guess they changed there policy. I hope your not BS'ing me, lol. Thanks for the info!!

The mod you performed is quite easy; as long as you didn't burn the traces around it. The frequency range it should cover after the mod starts on band A at 26.065 mhz up to band D at 29.695 mhz. To listen to regular cb band you would need to be on channel B and AM on the band selector as well as having the channel selector should be in the second of the 80 channels offered on band B. Your display should show .1 through 3.9 and then click to channel 1 through 40 would be regular cb channels. If not recieving anything after that then call Cobra to get the address to the service center in TN along with your reciept. Regardless if you have done the conversion or not they will cover it, and in most cases they will not change it back to factory, but it is a possiblity. Good luck because this is a SMT(surface mount technology) board you will most likely be unable to find anyone who will work on it.

Does anyone know if the service center will accept it without the receipt? Will they just charge me for servicing it or refuse to fix it altogether? Like i said it is brand new in the box, i just don't have the receipt

If you bought it brand new in the box did you use a credit card, or cash. If credit you could trace it through your credit company. Call Cobra up and see what exactly is the warranty period and tell them your serial number and then they can see when it was manufactured if it is not printed on the back. I have a friend who has sent 2 to the service center and they were only converted and nothing else done to it and the fixed the radios. As long as that is all you have done they have convered it in the past. And that was only 9 mths ago. Good luck.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Tim Chambers:
    Pres. Bill 2 FCC mod just posted
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,