• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 20 Plus Mic Mod

sunbulls

Apr 25, 2017
As I stated in other posts, I’m not fond of Din jacks. I prefer the 4 pin Cobra standard connection that coincides with my collection of various mics that I use for backup or vocal experimentation.

As seen in the diagram, this is about replacing the DIN with a 4 pin jack on the Korean 20 Plus version. Cobra 20 Plus models made elsewhere are substantially different. The Korean ones are easily identified by having a 3 pin power jack and a metal case, not a grommet feed through power connection with a plastic case. Fortunately, CB tricks covered the Korean version with a service manual, thereby making alignment and pot identification far easier. With that in mind, IMO this one is a keeper. A standard 500 ohm dynamic mic is used with this version, not the electret mic that’s found in versions made elsewhere.

This conversion was exceptionally easy. With help from the service manual, I made this diagram as a quick reference. Just the knobs and the 2 screws on each side of the bezel need to be removed. The Din jack is attached to a small board that is also soldered to the main board. Good news, no bypass caps or other components are mounted on this board. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to remove this board after it was unsoldered. The metal framework surrounding the DIN prevented it from being lifted out completely. For easy removal, I simply split the small board into several pieces with a wire cutter. With that garbage out of the way, the new 4 pin jack fit perfectly. I soldered the appropriate wire lengths and colors to the jack first before fastening it to the plastic bezel. This will help avoid any possible soldering iron mishaps coming into contact with it. The wires are then fed through the slot that was left behind from the small board.

The downside: I like these Cobra compacts except for the corrosive glue they used during their day. Among others, all the Plus versions of the 18, 19 and 20 are victimized. Admittedly, most of my time was spent removing that glue.

Cobra 20 Plus Mic Mod.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.