• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 2000 :100+ Ch Display Mod

loosecannon

Mar 9, 2006
i feel like we're hijacking this thread, (i know, i know i started it.LOL) so lets make this the last entry on the mod subject.

anyone can feel free to PM me about it, and we can start a new thread if there are questions.

definitely not a clock LOL!

carl,
i dont really go by a handle there, just my name.
loosecannon is in my email addy though!
later all,
loosecannon

2000gtlupdate.jpg

How did you get Chan 108?

Its called the mod. Go check out the group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/the_mod/

the mod board was pretty cool , I had one on a Grant XL , I still needed a map to know where I was at , and you still could just get a lot more channels working off the 8719 by itself, although you wouldn't see the numbers change on the channel selector. Although on the C-2000 , the freq's would still show up there. The Ranger FC-390 worked great on my Grant XL for that and still had alot more channels off the 8719. If I recall , they were called 99 boards at the time, this one on the 2000 looks fairly new to me ? mind didn't go any higher then the channel 99 on my Grant.

This is not a 99 kit! There is information on the site about the 99 kit but this mod is a whole lot cleaner than a 99 kit. This mod gives you a 3 digit readout in the stock area and goes from -79 below channel 1 up to 108 above channel 1 with no Alpha skips etc. If you are on 3A it says that on the display. With "the button" you can jump up a band by the press of a button. This mod requires NO trace cuts of the PCB.

I would strongly suggest going to the group and reading the first post to understand what the mod is all about.

no switches or anything, you turn your channel selector and its non stop "channels", below 1, the regular 40 with able channels and on up.

video of a 148 in action it should open in media player or what ever player you have set.

This mod requires NO trace cuts of the PCB

ya but look at all the stuff you have to do,for parts
maybe on my own radio ,but wouldn't make a living out of this..lol
148F can do the same but with its build in freq counter and trace cuts...lol
not the same but easier!

I am not degrading this mod...I love it and am going to do it...
just had to be a wise guy on it!:p
course on a 148GTL

I have nothing against the mod and I stand clear on it not being a 99 kit. Got it . I have no clue on what somebody would charge for that mod weather on a Cobra 2000 or a 148/Grant chassie ? but as I said before , the mods off the chip alone on a 2000 will take care of it and the freg counter will read as it should . We as hobbiests can do whatever we please when it comes to our equipment , I wasn't all that with the 99 kits and I doubt I would be all that on this one , especially concerning a 148/Grant , as I said , I have no clue on cost and or installation of this unit ? but I do know a Ranger FC-390 with it's harness wired into 148/Grant's with the switches on the radio or(where ever you would want them) is something more I personally would prefer. For that set up , you should be looking at under 100.00 for the counter and wire in job . Cheaper if you can do it yourself . I've seen guys pay for all the freqs possible in a 148GTL (85.00) with the wiring of a New in the Box FC-390 harness (35.00) and 65.00 for the counter at the shop . Just under 200.00 out the freaking door !! OUCH !! as I said , if you can basically do it yourself ? You could damned near knock off 120.00 dollars off that (labor)......but there is slightly more to it as far as the alighnment and all the other little extras that went with it. Tell me more. Peace

If I am not mistaken, several of these radios have been sold for nearly $700 on EBay. I think that typically they probably average $400-$450. They are alot of work to handwire, there is a group member that makes a pcb and programs the chips and sells kits, but I think recently he stopped doing it. It is really quite the mod if you really respect the 8719 chassis.

hi all,

this mod is more of a grassroots thing rather than an actual mass produced product.

when the group started, we were handwiring the boards on perf board.
that took about a week of hours a day work to get it done!

to the people who enjoy this kind of thing, its not about the money, its about using the radio with the mod installed.
i can tell you that it brings me great satisfaction every time i turn on my 2000GTL with the mod.

the kits usually sold for about 60.00 on ebay, and you gotta know what you're doing somewhat to install it.

no boards are being made at this time, but anyone is free to use the info on the group site to handwire their own.

i know many people who would just rather do the PLL switch mod and be done with it. i am not one of them.

peace,
i hope this thread continues.
loosecannon

I am fortunate enough to have 3 of the produced boards. There is no way I would ever have enough time to put into handwiring one. There are quite a few handwired ones out there though that are just as good. I am kind of surprised there has not been a thread about the mod prior to now. I have been a member for several years and I think loosecannon even longer. There are a great group of members and its good to see excellent ideas and modifications still being put out like the mod.

here are some pics of my 2000GTL as i currently have it set up:

whiteLEDs1.jpg

this is the mod board (revised beta board version 1):

betaboardinstall3.jpg

radio with top cover off:

betaboradinstall1.jpg

closeup of "the button", and external audio input:

thebutton2.jpg

"the button" is a bandswitch which jumps in increments of 40 channels. i used a power switch from another 2000GTL and a tactile switch to make it.

the PHONES jack is now the external audio input which allows me to plug in a mixing board, mic, CD player, and my personal favorite, an electric guitar!!!
when receiving, the sound comes through the speakers.
when you press the mic button, the sound goes over the air.

i have lots of fun with this radio!

enjoy,
loosecannon

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.