• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 2000 dual a watt

aswatkins2@yahoo

Oct 25, 2017
I want to put either a switch or dial a watt mod in my radio. I have a kicker that is overdriving. I want to turn the radio down so I can use and also be able to use without kicker. Thanks in advance.

I want to put either a switch or dial a watt mod in my radio. I have a kicker that is overdriving. I want to turn the radio down so I can use and also be able to use without kicker. Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forum aswatkins2@yahoo, unless your Cobra 2000 is used on 10 or 12 meters you may not find much help on this section of WWDX, try over here instead. ;)

Yeah, this is a procedure somebody (else) needs to write up and post. Not a good time for me to do it.

The late (as in dead) CB Tricks forum had a useful feature. Mods could move a post into a more-relevant section.

Yeah, this is a procedure somebody (else) needs to write up and post. Not a good time for me to do it.

The late (as in dead) CB Tricks forum had a useful feature. Mods could move a post into a more-relevant section.

In hind sight, I should have asked Captain Kilowatt to move the thread.

If you just need to configure the radio once to run the (low drive?) box, and do not need to be constantly "playing with the knobs" like I do...
You can simply short R196, and adjust VR10 for the desired carrier level.

I've never done this before, but you could try it:
Replace R196 with a 1 Ohm resistor, or short it out with a jumper.
(this allows you to lower your carrier adjustment level very far)

Find where VR10 is, remove it.
and install wires in the empty holes that had a previous electrical connection,
install a ___ Ohm potentiometer in the location of RF gain or some other knob.
{could drill a hole in a side of the radio and mount it there}
{ it's best to keep the wires as short as reasonably possible}

Wire the new "big boy potentiometer" in the same configuration as the existing one was, center is the wiper leg. (if you mix up the other two wires.. the knob/pot will work in reverse, counter-clockwise will increase carrier, not lower it as one would expect)

___ is the value of VR10, I cannot see it in the schematic at this moment but I will add the value when I find it, also you could sacrifice one of the potentiometers that control something up front if the value is the same as (or close to) that of VR10 and you just can't wait to try out this modification.

That's for a variable RF power knob, if you want a switched dial-a-watt instead:

You could use a toggle switch to short-out and bypass R196, would also try fixed resistor(s) in-place-of the potentiometer (VR10) modify the value using resistors & switch positions and a lil' bit of wiring.... in other words,
using a few fixed-value resistors & a two or three position switch to affect the resistance levels, you will soon be on your way!
(y)

Welcome to WorldWideDX
Best Regards

Last edited:

You could always adjust VR10 to the proper dead key for your amp and then just leave it there. You would be fine running it barefoot or with the amp on. What amplifier is it?

switching in different values of R196 will give you a switchable deadkey, and making it variable will give you a variable deadkey.

I am working on a 148GTL currently, and have an idea that i hope to try out tonight.
if it works the way i think it will, i will post the mod here.
LC

I have never seen the need for a variable for the 148 or 2000 myself. I guess some want it for some reason. each there own. it is easy to do but feel it is not needed.
Loosecannon may come up with the item you want.

In hind sight, I should have asked Captain Kilowatt to move the thread.

If you just need to configure the radio once to run the (low drive?) box, and do not need to be constantly "playing with the knobs" like I do...
You can simply short R196, and adjust VR10 for the desired carrier level.

I've never done this before, but you could try it:
Replace R196 with a 1 Ohm resistor, or short it out with a jumper.
(this allows you to lower your carrier adjustment level very far)

Find where VR10 is, remove it.
and install wires in the empty holes that had a previous electrical connection,
install a ___ Ohm potentiometer in the location of RF gain or some other knob.
{could drill a hole in a side of the radio and mount it there}
{ it's best to keep the wires as short as reasonably possible}

Wire the new "big boy potentiometer" in the same configuration as the existing one was, center is the wiper leg. (if you mix up the other two wires.. the knob/pot will work in reverse, counter-clockwise will increase carrier, not lower it as one would expect)

___ is the value of VR10, I cannot see it in the schematic at this moment but I will add the value when I find it, also you could sacrifice one of the potentiometers that control something up front if the value is the same as (or close to) that of VR10 and you just can't wait to try out this modification.

That's for a variable RF power knob, if you want a switched dial-a-watt instead:

You could use a toggle switch to short-out and bypass R196, would also try fixed resistor(s) in-place-of the potentiometer (VR10) modify the value using resistors & switch positions and a lil' bit of wiring.... in other words,
using a few fixed-value resistors & a two or three position switch to affect the resistance levels, you will soon be on your way!
(y)

Welcome to WorldWideDX
Best Regards
Thanks. I did this mod in about 15 minutes. It works great. Thanks again.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.