• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 2000 extra channels

longhaireddwb

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I know I seen out there somewhere (WWW) that if you change the PLL to the one out of a 148 and with a switch you can get lots of extra channels but for the life of me I'm not finding it now. I have an old 148 parts radio so I have the proper chip for the mod but I need more info. I know there's something about not grounding the #10 pin on the 148 chip when installed in the 2000 but what else is there to the mod? CAN SOMEONE SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS FOR ME? Or stear me in the right direction? Thanks...

Thanks Booty.

Remove MB8734 and replace with MB8719.
Remove crystal 11.1125 and replace with crystal 11.325 or 11.3258.

That's the big part. Now what about how to put in the switch and what type of switch? How to connect it to the MB8719? I have a location for the switch.

The 2000 that I have has the MB8734 but I have a MB8719 in my hand. Also if I need to change the crystal I have a old 148 parts radio I can possibly pull the right crystal from but I'm not sure. Might have to buy one.

Thanks guys. Anyone have the actual mod instructions?

if you join "the mod" yahoo group, and go to the files section; you will find a file titled "poormans 192 mod revised.pdf"

i would link you to it, but you have to be a member to get there.

this mod will give you 26.175 to 28.085mhz.
i am not talking about "the mod" where you need to buy it and install it in your radio; this is a mod that uses two toggle switches, and all you need to do is replace the MB8734 with the MB8719.

i always recommend installing a DIP socket so that you can just plug your very expensive MB8719 into the socket instead of soldering on the delicate PLL chip's pins. it is very worth the effort.
dont forget to make a note of which way the chip faces before removing the old one!

good luck,
LC

thanks bootymon!

thats my latest project.

the knob on the left of the FC is the scan up/dn knob.

it has "the mod" and goes from 26.815 to 28.755.
many other things done, but i dont want to hijack the thread with all the details.

there's more pics of it in the photos section of the mod group.
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.