• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 2000 gtl headache

was looking again at your first post, and it looks as though i missed a few clues on my first read. sorry.

look at your schematic as you read through this.

first, the voltage on pin 5 of your VCO chip is wrong as you mentioned.
you will notice that pin 5 of the VCO connects to pin 1 of the PLL chip, and the voltage you noted for the pin 5 of the VCO is the same as the voltage on pin 1 of the PLL.

so, the VCO is not getting enough of a signal to do its thing, which is why your clarifier coils arent responding to tuning and you cant change the voltage on L19.

the voltages you note on pins 1-9 of the PLL are all off, some by quite a bit.

to me, this says bad PLL chip, but before we assume thats the problem, lets check the lock detector circuit to make sure that the problem doesnt lie in that circuit. it could be that your PLL is out of lock which is causing the weird voltages and lack of output.

on the MB8734 PLL, pin 6 is your lock detector pin. (im sure you already checked that the PLL was oriented correctly with the notch toward the 11.3258 crystal.)
pin 1 is connected to R95, just so we are both looking at things the same.
count across from pin 1 to pin 6.
when the pll is locked, pin 6 should have 8 volts on it. you indicated 5.44 volts here telling me that the PLL is out of lock.

to determine whether the PLL itself or the lock detector circuit is the problem, unsolder and lift the anode (UNbanded end) of D31 from the PC board.
now jump a wire from pin 1 of the MB3756 voltage reg to the anode of D31 that you just lifted from the board.

recheck the voltage on pin 1 of the PLL, it should be about 3.4 volts.
you should also notice some change in the radio's operation, like you can now change the voltage on L19, and the clarifier coils should now respond to tuning.

if this worked, and operation is restored, the problem is in your lock detector circuit. trace the line on your schematic going from pin 6 of the PLL to the circuit its connected to. i think its TR47 and TR53. check these transistors with your DMM using the diode function test to determine if they are bad.
also check the components around them, especially the caps and diodes.

if this did not work (my guess is that it wont) then most likely your PLL chip is bad. first thing to do is remove that jumper you just added so it doesnt mess you up later, and resolder D31.

the previous owner probably messed it up when they were trying to mod it for more channels.
you need to check for solder bridges made by him (or you!) around the PLL area. also check for cut traces and things like that.
one thing that i noticed right away was that you said you had 0 volts on pin 10.
in this chassis, pin 10 is high (8v) and is not connected to anything.
with the MB8734 chip, it is 8v all the time and is not controllable like it is with the MB8719. the 0 volts you read sends up HUGE red flags that someone tried to control pin 10 by grounding it. ive never tried it on an 8734 chip, but i would guess that its not good. LOL
the fact that you read 0 volts says that either the PLL is messed up internally or that pin 10 is somehow shorted to ground outside the chip.
using your continuity tester, put one lead on pin 10 and the other lead to PC board ground.
do you have continuity? you should not. you should read infinite resistance.

if you find that pin 10 does seem to be shorted to ground (continuity) then remove the PLL chip from its socket and check again.
if the short goes away, and the socket itself isnt messed up, then you can be pretty damn sure the PLL chip itself is bad.

if when checking pin 10, with the PLL chip in its socket, you find that there is no short to ground, but you are still reading 0 volts, then the chip is bad and its time to replace it.

do these checks in the order i placed them.
if you find that everything outside the PLL chip seems to be in order, but its still not working, then go ahead and replace the chip.

after you replace the chip, re-tune the VCO like i posted earlier, and you should have at least somewhat normal operation restored.

the clarifier coils are going to need to be re-tuned, and you'll be glad you bought that freq counter!
(if your counter didnt come with a probe, just get a piece of coax with a BNC on one end and fashion some test leads to the other end. it will work just fine for you.)

ok thats it! like i said, i really think the last owner messed up the chip while trying to get extra channels and that may be one of the reasons pin 10 read 0 volts when it should have read 8volts.

good luck and be sure to let us all know how it works out, (so i can either gloat or hang my head in shame LOL)
LC

Last edited:
Hi all The counter cam in last night. The distructions are not very clear they were writen in chicom or something. I mean instructions lol. I need to make a set of probs for it all that came with it is a power cord and a bnc jumper.Btw pin 10 is open no short. Have family from out of town here be a day or 2 before i can mess with it. Ben dazed and:confused:

was reading through "understanding and repairing CB radios" the other night, and lou's procedure for checking an out of lock condition is just to raise one end of D31 from the board and check the radio to see if lock is restored.

just thought i would mention that as the way i said to check it is different, and i admit, was a bit of a guess.

with pin 10 not being shorted, and reading 0 volts, i think i would just replace the chip and see if it works.
an out of lock condition wont blow the new chip anyway.

good luck,
LC

Hi all.I use a new Prob from my old scope B&K type. lifted dd31 not much diffrence. replaced tr 20 with new one and tr53 with new one. the old ones checked good with transitor test on my volt meter.Seem no voltage at tr53 The pll voltage as follows. Pin 1.8.09 pin 2 1.93 pin4 8.34 pin5 8.34 pin 6 .16 pin 7 2.97 pin 8 is ok 4.50 with 10.239 to 10.240 flickering on counter pin 9 ok 8.36 pin 10 0v d31 lifted 8 volts.Data pins 11 though 16 ok pin 3.89 ok. At d51 voltages will change when clarifier is moved.Also with new pll it is unlocked will not tx or rx with d31 it will but no control over channels. Ready for the junk pile NOT lol. Ive looked at scamatic till im blue in the face . Thank Ben

i will look into this further when i get home tonight, but for now, just a couple of things to check to keep you busy. LOL

first, check D31 to make sure its not shorted. should conduct one way and not the other.

your voltage readings at pins 1, 4 and 5 is weird. try lifting one end of R95 and see what that does.
also check C79, C80, and C81 for shorts.

you are out of lock, and thats the reason you dont measure any voltage at TR53.

use the schematic at the end of this service manual, as it has the voltages listed:
http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/2000gtl/graphics/cobra_2000gtl_sm.pdf

tomorrow i will type up a troubleshooting procedure to help narrow down the problem.
LC

Hi Lc i did check d31 its one was as it should be. Thats the service manul i use a copy of the sams photo facts from Cbtricks. I also have a copy of one that all the curcuts are colors make it easy to trace by efj or somethink like that. I notice that after i said about tr53 no voltage it said if out of loc as you said. i receke the new elecrolictic cap agin to see it were right and they are. Thank Ben

had a small family emergency today and didnt get a chance to bring the info i need with me. will post it by tuesday.

dont forget to check TR47 as its also part of the lock detector circuit.

C80 and C81 are tantalum caps from the factory. did you replace these with electrolytics? wont really make a difference which one you use in this case, but in the parts list they are listed as electrolytics so im wondering if you actually replaced these two caps or just looked at the parts list.

if it turns out that you have not replaced them, remove them and check them, and if they are ok, you can just put them back. you dont have to replace these when re-capping as long as the old ones are good, as they dont age nearly as fast as electrolytics do.

do you have the ability to read RF voltage with your scope?
this will help when i post the troubleshooting procedure.
LC

here are some troubleshooting procedures for you to try.
i am starting to think the problem is in the lock detector circuit, so be sure to check it thoroughly.
i will go through some things you already tried for the benefit of future searchers.

pin 6 of the PLL should be 8 volts, if its low, like 0 volts, the loop is unlocked.
unsolder one end of D31 and see if normal operation is restored. if it is, the problem is in the lock detector circuit. troubleshoot D31, TR47, TR53, D43, TR35.

do you read 10.240mhz at pin 8 of the PLL?
if not, check the crystal and its associated caps.
if the crystal and the caps check ok, the PLL is defective.

check the freq at TP1. it should be between 34.765 and 35.205 (1-40) in AM mode (use AM mode for all tests).
if the freqs are correct, the PLL is working and the problem is in another area.
if not, the VCO will either be free running in the 35mhz range or not working at all.
if its not working at all, check VCO voltages and associated parts. check L19 tuning and make sure its not open.

if the VCO is free running, check signal continuity from VCO pin 1 to secondary of L20, which is TP1. check associated passive devices like C93.
if free running 35mhz signal is present at TP1, check for downmix signal at collector of TR20, and at pin 17 of the PLL.

should be .790mhz to 1.23mhz (1-40).

if this freq is not present, check TR20.
the 34mhz VCO signal should be present at the base.

suspect bad VCO IC or bad TR20, or associated passive devices.

if the base signal is present, check the emitter signal, which should be 33.975mhz or 33.335mhz depending on chassis.
if both base and emitter signals are present, check collector signal. if its missing, suspect the transistor or the associated parts.

if the emitter signal is missing, check the collector of TR29 for the appropriate 33mhz signal.
if its there, check the tripler coil L21 secondary and other associated parts in the collector circuit to pinpoint the open signal path.

if signal is not present at collector of TR29, check the 11mhz loop oscillator stage. check TR30, the crystal itself, and all the associated parts including the coupling to the tripler stage.

well, i hope this helps.

if the problem turns out to be in the lock detector circuit, and you cant find any bad parts, remember that there is a lead connected from this circuit to the channel selector that will short out the switch and you wont be able to change channels.
when you said that you removed D31 and it worked but you couldnt change channels, that says to me that there is a short somewhere in the lock detector circuit that shorted the channel switch and wouldnt allow you to change channels.
thats just a guess.

good luck.
LC

Hi all. I hope all is ok with Family. Was waiting till ya logged back in. Now back to testing. Will post results from these tests as in your previce post. Ben

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.