1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Cobra 2000 GTL low tx audio and no power out

Discussion in 'CB Radio Modifications' started by Kracker, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Kracker

Kracker Member

Ok I'll try to explain this best I can.
    when i key up, my external meter shows nothing going out, cannot even check swr because if i switch to swr the meter stays at zero. It is located on my garage workbench. so i can get in my truck and drive around the block and from my mobile radio and talk to my kid on the 2000 and 1 block away it hits my mobile with 3 to5 s units and the audio is in the toilet, volume way up just to hear my kid. so it is getting out and has a carrier but low, 2 blocks away it cant be heard.

I swapped the pre-driver, driver, final, from a working 148 and didnt change anything. I tested the voltage regulator and PLL, and readings as follows, but not sure if i was getting a good ground, it seems i cant locate a trustworthy one in AC, so i switched to dc and i get

driver and final 7.0 volts off center pin during tx in am, 13 in ssb
    voltage regulator and PLL readings are in the pics attached

Attached Files:

• PLL.png
      PLL.png
      File size:
      528.3 KB
      Views:
    • VR.png
      VR.png
      File size:
      753 KB
      Views:

2. Robb

Robb Yup

Does the TX indicator light up when you key the mic?
    Does it receive?
    Have audio?
    Radio been hacked before?
    PA work?

3. Kracker

Kracker Member

yes it does.