• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 2000 gtl with No transmit limited receive.

dutchman100

Jan 13, 2016
Got a cobra 2000gtl that has had a really rough past with previous owner and USPS delivery to my porch by literally AIR Mail of about a 15 foot throw that totally trashed the original board, It was in about 4 parts when I opened it up, well I decided to do an open board transplant from a 1982 to a 1992 or 1993 Philipines board that was supposed to work, but you know how that story always goes...LOL. Everything wired into the board from the old frame the way it should have with out to much excitement. Fired it up and it actually came on and received very low. Figured well I'm half way, keyed the mic and nothing, no on the air light, no transmit no nothing, I've been looking over the schematics so long I'm cross eyed.

The original board had mods done to it and they took the phone plug out and put in a channel switch, which I see is a very common thing with these radios, I just about cry when I see this kind of thing done to these radios. I like to restore them back to original.

I just tape the jack inside the radio and install the switch there.... if I want to put it back to stock all I have to do is just pull the tape off the jack and reinstall it.

~Cheers~

I picked that phone plug and all of the other switches from ebay at a reasonable price, They have come in handy here more than once already.

IMG_0154_zpsuahq62ly.jpg

That should help with the wiring. There's a brown wire that attaches to the bottom resistor that's soldered on the back side of the board that goes to pin 3 on the mic jack.

~Cheers~

Also I forgot to mention that TR24 was removed from the board, I replaced it with a new one already. I checked out TR26 and R131 they are fine. These are usually one of the first things I look for. I think this 93 board had some mods done but I can't put my finger on anything so far.

I am missing the brown wire here some how. I might have to open up my other cobra 2000 gtl to locate this one. I don't know how I missed this...

Correction, it attaches to the TOP large resistor in the pic, the one that's closest to the actual headphone jack itself. From there, it goes to Pin 3 on the mic jack. That is your RX wire, it has to be in contact with PCB ground to complete the circuit to RX properly.

~Cheers~

Yep the wiring is correct on the phone plug and mic plugs. The brown wire turned out to be black. I had to trace it. back. But it was a replacement wire.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.