• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 2000 gtl woahs :(

casios

Apr 3, 2005
Ok.
Transmits fine on the few channels I have tested on. Seems a bit high with a 8 watt dk and 12 watt swing. Has had channels installed. I just picked this up at a fleamarket for near nothing. I don't know the history of this radio other than what I have looked at on the inside.
I have read something like this problem before. I haven't checked all of the channels but here is what I have found.
24 tx's on frequency but rx's on channel 22???? wierd.
Sounds like I need to pull the signal gen out of the garage.
There is a resistor closer to the front R44 that is cut and next to that seems to be d 52 has been cut but resolderd back to itself?
These are the only "new" fresh marks I have seen.
I have no knowledge as to what it takes to convert this thing but other than the above mentioned it looks as if everything else has been untouched for quite sometime (plenty of dust).
The channels were used in place with the nb,anl,and pa switches.
At this time the other thing I have found is the clarifier will not work at all.....tx or rx.
The outside of this radio is clean.All the lights work as they should. The switches are crisp and snap back like new.I got the external speaker and all.
Does anyone have a schematic for this? I have looked back on the archives on this site for any useful info on this radio. I have heard that these radio's are great and may be looking to replace my 2517 if this thing will do what I've heard.
Thanks in advanced
Cas

www.cbtricks.com

Select "Radio Information" on the home page. Select letter "C" next, then scroll down to select "Cobra". The 2000GTL is 4/5ths of the way down the Cobra radio page.

One thing that may affect the picture is the age. Mileage counts for a lot, but age does, too.

If it says "Made in Japan", it's 27 or 26 years old.

"Made in Taiwan ROC" would be 26 to 18 years old.

"Made in the Phillippines", between 18 and 13 years old.

Lots of electrolytic capacitors don't go bad until the 20 or 25-year mark. The highest internal temperatures are inside the frequency counter/clock shield. Flickering segments that should be dark on one or more digits is often the first sign. When the 10 or so electrolytics in the counter are failing, others on the main radio board may follow soon. Lots of operating hours means more exposure to heat, and more failed electrolytics, whatever the age.

Nomad,

The display's on the clock,counter and channel knob are very bright and clear.
I guess I am not comprehending what you are trying to say other than the unit is old.
It is made in taiwan. At least thats what the tage shows on the rear.
I am not sure what the diplay has anything to do with the fact that it tx's differently from the way it rx's...
Is the channel conversion any different on this radio than say a 148? It looks to have the same pll?
I realize its age but should that reallly affect the non working pot on the clarifier completley?

I will go to cb tricks and read a little over there.
Do you have any idea why someone would cut the above mention resistor and diode?
Thanks
Cas

That resistor and diode are about opening your clarifier on rx and tx Casios ,I think Nomad answered your question the best that he could on what he had to go on. It just sounds like your radio needs a alighnment dude. No big deal. I don't care how old they are Casios because none of us really know how much it was ran in the first place ? could be closer to a virgin then any of us know ? I've ran to many radios pushing 30 years of age that were virgins when they first came to me with no problems at all. Take it to a tech and tell him to alighn the radio for you and you should be just fine. I'd bet on it ! IM not a fan of the Cobra 2000's but there's just to many of them out there on the air today still sounding mighty good to me. It does not sound serious to me Casios , you got a good deal on it ,now go spend a few bucks on a reputable radio tech to have it alighned and you should be a happy camper there after , would be my best guess here. Good luck to you. Let us know how it works out for you. Switch Kit

I didn't find the alignment procedures on this radio on cb tricks.
Does anyone have alignment sheets on this radio?
Thanks

Thanks bud, that'd be the one. I will hook up the tone gen this weekend!
I will post results.
Does anyone know anything else that should be done while I have the thing open?
Thanks again switch,
Cas

The great thing about those boards is that they really seem to not need much at all done to them !! The audio section in those radios seem so much different to me then so many other radios (IM no expert) but the watts just brought up a bit (or down for your favorite amp if need be) and the audio set a 100% is all that's really needed on those radios to sound out standing !! They love Lolly Pop's !! but the best mic I ever heard on those boards was a Shure 526 T !! just outstanding to say the least. Also the Sadelta Echo Master pluses always sounded choice on those radios as well. I said earlier that I really didn't care for the Cobra 2000's but I think the boards in them are very nice (-: nowadays and there getting up in the years , I personally would just assume to have a older 148GTL (basically the same board) but just a whole lot less to go wrong with them as far as age goes and parts,much easier to fix if need be,so to speak. Nothing like a real nice power supply to ease my comfort (-: but hey !! I do believe the 2000 works both ways. Enjoy.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.