• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 2000 GTL

boydjt

Nov 13, 2011
Jacksonville, Florida
I would like to buy a nice condition Cobra 2000 GTL. But the prices are all over the board. One recently went for $510 that definitely needed work. http://www.ebay.com/itm/172378720818?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT.

This one went for $229. http://www.ebay.com/itm/272407262129?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT A much nicer radio cosmetically.

Only difference was Philippines build. No way is the difference justified.

What do you guys think? Where should I start looking? EBAY makes everyone believe they have a gold mine.

If you guys know of a nice one, please let me know.

Philippine ones were made in the early 90's. Taiwan versions are the older ones. And the Malaysia ones were the last built...I've herd the Malaysia ones had some problems, but never owned one, so can't confirm. If you get one of the Taiwan versions, figure on having to re-cap the thing since those are gong to be 30+ years old.

One I have is a Philippine made in 1992 (stamped on the back), I got it off ebay for about $350 w/shipping and one speaker. I found a second Philippine speaker later on ebay for $50...One I have looks like it came right off the assembly line...no extra switches, buttons or extra channels, and everything works like new still.

Just have to keep checking ebay, and when you see one that's not been molested and is under $500 jump on it!

Right now, there's only two Cobra 2000's listed on ebay (which is hard to believe) both are Taiwan's, the one listed for $375 has had all the knobs replaced with what looks like Cobra 29 knobs, and looks pretty rough. The other one is listed from superhawkwss6 who I wouldn't give the time of day to...All his stuff is over-priced, and he tends to make a turd sound like a bargain.

Last edited:
Reactions: walterjn and boydjt
Philippine ones were made in the early 90's. Taiwan versions are the older ones. And the Malaysia ones were the last built...I've herd the Malaysia ones had some problems, but never owned one, so can't confirm. If you get one of the Taiwan versions, figure on having to re-cap the thing since those are gong to be 30+ years old.

One I have is a Philippine made in 1992 (stamped on the back), I got it off ebay for about $350 w/shipping and one speaker. I found a second Philippine speaker later on ebay for $50...One I have looks like it came right off the assembly line...no extra switches, buttons or extra channels, and everything works like new still.

Just have to keep checking ebay, and when you see one that's not been molested and is under $500 jump on it!

Right now, there's only two Cobra 2000's listed on ebay (which is hard to believe) both are Taiwan's, the one listed for $375 has had all the knobs replaced with what looks like Cobra 29 knobs, and looks pretty rough. The other one is listed from superhawkwss6 who I wouldn't give the time of day to...All his stuff is over-priced, and he tends to make a turd sound like a bargain.

You have to be wiling to pay $900 to get a good one.
:ROFLMAO:

I have a nice 2000GTL, darned if I know where or when it was made. Too lazy to look at it right now. Has two speakers, channel guard filter, and extra channels. Not for sale at the moment. :)

Brett

Funny thing; a Philippine-made Grant XL will kick the 2000GTL azz - all day long - @ 1/3 the price . . .

Since they are both built virtually from the same schematic; I can only surmise that the real difference is the cost of material. Better part quality used in production in the Uniden Grant XL than the Cobra 2000GTL used? Maybe . . .

Last edited:
:ROFLMAO:

I have a nice 2000GTL, darned if I know where or when it was made. Too lazy to look at it right now. Has two speakers, channel guard filter, and extra channels. Not for sale at the moment. :)

Brett

I started out on CB and loved it. Got me started in ham radio and I still have a thing for CB base radios. Wouldn't mind having a 2000 but I'm not going to pay out the wazoo for it.

Reactions: wavrider and 2RT307
I started out on CB and loved it. Got me started in ham radio and I still have a thing for CB base radios. Wouldn't mind having a 2000 but I'm not going to pay out the wazoo for it.
Been several nice ones on ebay in the last few weeks go between $200 and $300...Just have to catch them when they first show up....ONLY way I would pay $500 for one, was if it was NIB, and even then I doubt I would pay that much.

Same here... started as a teenager and got a Robyn T-240D, D104, and Taylor .64 wave ground plane for birthday/Christmas. Later got into SSB with a Cobra 132XLR mobile, and much later got "back into" CB with a 139XLR base, and then the 2000 GTL. Have since moved on to ham radio, but still have a Robyn (not the original one I had, but very nice, the 138XLR, 2000GTL, a couple of Grant XL's, an old Pearce Simpson 23 channel SSB, and a few export rigs. CB is pretty fun, but I don't get on there much anymore.

Old shack pic, and didn't have room for the 2nd speaker!

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.