• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 2000

Same board as the 148 GTL of the day so the mods should all be the same. That said the Cobra 2000 is such a fine low powered radio why mess with it? Give it a nice tune and alignment and enjoy. The most I would do is add extra channels, unlock the clarifier, and maybe variable power for the AM dead key.

A local has a 2000 that is set for an AM dead key of 2.5 watts and swings maybe 15 ish, and SSB is 16-18 watts PEP. The clarifier is stock and extra channels is the only add-on. He used to run that into various old school tube amps with a d104 chicken choker and WOW. Boatloads of audio.

If you wish to retain the resale value of the 2000 keep it stock, a factory tune and your ready to go. I searched for months to find one that was nearly new or NOS condition, I placed it on the bench, checked all the caps, made minor adjustments to the output audio and left it alone. For 11M it out-talks my Icom locally dead keying at 4W, swinging to 7-8W .. audio is superb using a vintage Turner Expander 500 mic .. almost as good as my past Brownings according to reports.

i have 2 of them one that has never had the top off it and one thats been worked on im wanting to add a swing kit to the one thats been worked on.

I know there are other mods, but I just replace C174 (1uf 50v) with a 10uf 50v cap and upgrade the AM power regulator. This has always given me good swing and clean audio.

Jim

The Cobra 2000's and Uniden Madison radio's are 12-18 watt radio's after a correct tune and alignment. They will never be a 30 watt radio but they don't need to be. The power supply will not support hi power mods anyway.

My Madison swings 15 on AM and 17 on SSB. I run that into a Bulletproof 250 thats class AB. Excellent SSB performance.

Reactions: 1 person
COBRA 2000GTL

Guys, What does the "Swing Kit" do I heard it mentioned
many times ??
Also, how can I tell if the former owner "Unlocked " the clairifer ??
Thanks All for the info... MURDOCK :tongue:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.