• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 2000GTL Carbon dating

43Echo695

Oct 19, 2008
Queensland, Australia
By chance I have acquired a Cobra 2000GTL. The radio is in outstanding condition, a lucky find.

Being curious about the build date, I emailed Cobra with the serial number. This was their response:

We can not tell by the serial number when that radio was manufactured, we started manufacturing the 2000 GTL in 1978.

This surprised me. A similar serial number enquiry to Yaesu yielded a month/year build date easily enough.

A little research on the net makes me think it's a 1989 build, but I'm no Cobra expert, this is my first! Can anyone here help?

The serial number is 9301 #### Made in Taiwan. PM me if the last 4 digits are significant.

Many thanks,

73's

Looking at your serial number one would think 1993 and January being the month but I dont think Dynascan was still making them in 1993.

OK thanks.

I read somewhere that the first digit in the serial number of Taiwanese made 2000's meant the year of manufacture.

Mine starting with '9' led me to think it was 1989, or 1979.

I'm still surprised that Cobra themselves couldn't tell me.

The original owners full name and apparently official callsign are etched under the covers.

Next time I have the covers off I'll note them down and out of curiosity maybe see if anyone on the forum remembers him.

73's

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.