• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 2000GTL, clock but no power on.

loosecannon,

I have one question for you regarding your recommendation of changing C181 to 1000 uF from the stock value of 10 uF. That's a significant increase.

I see it is located next to the TA7222AP Audio Amplifier. What is the expected result of the increased value?

C181 is connected across the main 13.8 volt line coming in to the audio amp.

increasing its value provides better filtering.

yes, by increasing C172 to a 2200, you are doing essentially the same thing, i just do it anyway as it cant hurt.

look at the schematic and you will see what i mean.

LC

Thanks for your clarification. I looked at the schematic but I was not familiar with the pin outs of the TA7222AP. I used a 3300 uF for C172, a value that was discovered somewhere else. I'll proceed with your other recommendations.

Last edited:
just a little tidbit here.

i have never liked the muting of the audio while changing channels.
i like to be able to "scan the band" by flipping through the channels about 1 second at time without having the audio muted each time i turn the channel knob.

if you want to get rid of the muting, just remove C232. no replacement.
easy at that.
LC

Status Update:

System Update:

Just finished replacing all the electrolytics. I have a better appreciation for the tech's & businesses that do this ($$$). I'm putting together a re-capping kit that will have all the locations identified and differences discovered from the service manual + the mystery cap I discovered (factory). I will have it on eBay by the end of next week. Look for "electrolytic capacitor kit for cobra 2000"

>> ... be good to go for another 20+ years.
>> ... of course the problem is that it takes a fair amount of time to re-cap a radio and im not sure anyone would want to pay for that.

I will go through a basic PLL/RX/TX alignment before I move on to the next phase, installing SCHOTTKY diodes, widebanding, and ...
>> ... dont forget to change TR41 on the main PC board, and TR301 on the power supply board to a 2N6487 or NTE152

Thanks ALL for your input.

any of them will work just fine.

the 2N6487 is actually overkill for what the part needs to do, its just an easy part to find.
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.