• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 2000gtl issues

electrohead

Apr 1, 2011
South Buffalo NY
i have a cobra 2000, and it has a weird problem which cannot be figured out, when on AM, when you key up the frequency goes up to 34.? and back to 27. whatever freq you are on after you unkey. then on ssb, i could not get the radio to stay on 50 it would bounce to 27.386.7 for example then tap the clarifier then goes back to 27.3850. just recently i was using it on AM, and the same problem started ocurring with jumping to 34MHz on tx and then eventually the radio permanently went off frequency and all of the channels are offset each other. for example ch 30 receives ch 28, ch 26 receives channel 25, so whatever channel you go to, it receives the channel below it offset center slot. and now for some apparent reason, no matter what mic gain setting on the radio, all i get is feedback and scratching noises thru the receive during transmit. all i use is a stock mic. i tried unplugging the frequency counter unit from inside and didnt help. this radio has been looked at and repaired 3 or 4 times already in less than a month and works good for 3 or 4 days then starts acting funny.

Sounds like the VCO isn't locking on frequency, you could try adjusting L19 slightly to see if it locks in on frequency, but from the way the radio is acting, it sounds like something in the VCO circuit is unstable, causing it to wander frequency. Give that a go, tell us how you get on.

~Cheers~

yep, i agree with exit13, its the VCO.

the radio probably has an expo kit or some other crystal switching mod in it.

electrohead, if the person doing your radio work for you didnt see this right away and still couldnt figure it out after three times inside the radio then i would stay far away from them. they are a hack.

seeing a cobra 2000 freq counter jump to 34mhz is a dead give away to anyone who has ever done a full alignment on one.

whoever it is, keep their screwdrivers away from your precious 2000GTL!!!
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.