• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 25 channel selector

HootyAl

Apr 26, 2005
Looking for a cobra 25 channel selector, for an early 90's model with the mic on the side. Have several of these radios with segments of display not working...installed new display on one and same segments still not working..thinking it might be the selector switch....Any ideas?? :?

if you went that far hooty , did you go through all the solder joints around and about the area of the selector and the ribon cable that connect the selector board to the radios board ? if you put in a new one and it did the same thing , chances are it is something else , push on the selectors board with power going through it and see if you might catch the segments coming off and on , that would be a sign of a cold solder joint.Congrats on changing the number segment display !! sounds like your handy with a soldering iron (-:

Thanks for the reply...yea it was a bit tiedious?! but we really like the older models. The cold solder joints was the first thing we looked for...looks like I might me able to unsolder the whole swithch from board...take apart and spray with windex I mean contact cleaner...If I do, I'll tell ya what happens :oops:

Unsoldered selector from board, dissasembled and cleaned the contact wheel inside and the 16 little contact "points" reinstalled and it works like new... ;)

Congrats !! I too love the older ones Hooty , I personally run a 1983 Cobra LTD (not GTL the 1st model or the LTD Classics the 3rd model)

What Hackers Would Do..........LOL

Most of the hackers would take the tip of the soldering iron and poke a hole in the top of the switch assembly then fill the hole with contact cleaner.....if you are good,you can spray contact cleaner into the switch without disassembling the switch...sometimes it is easier to just change out the whole switch board/display all at one time if you have the same spare parts to put back in it.....sometimes if your soldering iron is too hot,it will lift the pads right off the board so you have to be good with a soldering iron.....lol

nice to hear some of you guys get lucky as far as contact cleaner goes on those , it's always been changing the damned L.e.d. read out for me. )-: after finding out cleaner didn't help. Can always appreciate an easy fix. Reminds me of the older Uniden E series radios .....I really liked those radios but they all seemed to have a problem with the light show in those things !! Damn it !! it would always be the whole damed module you would have to change to make them right , see alot of those on Ebay ,all having the same damned problem. good luck trying to find those modules these days. Chances are if you did put a new one in that it would just be a matter of time before they would take a crap on you. 710E 810E (PC-122) 610E ect.ect.ect.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.