• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 25 gtl (taiwan) full restoration

Uncle Ronnie 336

Apr 28, 2020
for the sh1ts and giggles i picked it off the pile and started messing with it. I was gonna recap and do some hotrod mods and leave it as an ugly ratrod, but after I had a safety meeting with my old man this last weekend, the face/bezel got disassembled, sanded the bubbling chrome off the bezel, painted it with some self-etching primer and VHT black epoxy paint. took magwheel polish to the faceplate and shined it up surprisingly well.
the LED channel segments were dim and tired too, so we're going blue, the rx/tx LED will shine blue on RX and pure green on TX, and the stuck faded meter is getting replaced with one with a blue backlight. tomorrow after work i'll be getting more paint for the cases, ordering a new speaker inside, and finishing up the internals, which incl. biased mosfet, TIP120 NPC-rc (internal trimmer) and a diode-switched channel kit homemade with lowers, 26.515-26.955 switched using the brt-dim switch. kinda stoked on this build. pics to come

bezel is back on, new switches, one of them currently sporting 3 wires for a channel kit. starting to look like somethin.

Attachments

• 25gtlswitches.jpg
    25gtlswitches.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 25gtlnewbez.jpg
    25gtlnewbez.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: NZ8N
took 100pf across c42 and c46, changed r43 to 4.7ohm. threw a HG 2sc1969 into this, replaced the nylon screw with a allenscrew and insulator. the slug got removed. now im getting a little over 10.5 MFJ watts rms and around 30 MFJ watts peak. without the NPC mod the dk is 9.5 so im gonna build that next and trim it back to about 2-4 watts depending on what's going behind it

Attachments

• 25gtl2sc1969.jpg
    25gtl2sc1969.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
details details details. as im sure some of ya fellow working class bros have come to the realization that if you want nice stuff, ya gotta work for it. if you want a nice CB you are either dropping a big amt of dough, or you can take a rig headed for the scrapyard, dirt cheap, give it a little love and polish it up. i hope to inspire some of ya to do the same.

Attachments

• 25gtlknobpaint.jpg
    25gtlknobpaint.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 25gtlknobprime.jpg
    25gtlknobprime.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 12
instead of removing the slug from that final tuning coil, remove one turn from it and then you will be able to peak that coil using the slug.
LC

This is inspiring.
these old rigs are worth the work. the HG final really tuned out good
instead of removing the slug from that final tuning coil, remove one turn from it and then you will be able to peak that coil using the slug.
LC
i do that most of the time but ya know what? im thinkin this is good enough for govt work here with the numbers i'm seein. after posting that i actually thought to tune the slug right before the driver (duh). now we're at 11.5W rms and a few clicks above the 30 mark that I was seein. (mfj watts) note that the mfj has conservative numbers compared to birds with an opamp peak kit.... also noticed that c149 doesnt exist in the GTL's but does in the LTDs which needs to be removed. i am calling that part done, that's my story and i'm stickin to it.

copy that.

by "before the driver" did you mean L14 or L13?

I only ask because many people will try to add a slug to L13 and try to tune it, but it is just the voltage feed for the collector and doesn't "tune" anything.

Sounds like you are done messing with it, but just for the future searchers i'll add in here that changing the driver transistor to a 2SC2314 and playing with the value of R41 can yield a couple more watts. not that they'd be noticed...
LC

between the predriver and driver. the resistor r43 was the one i swapped from 10 to 4.7 right at the base of the driver. idk what its got in there but it is rockin. now where does one find a 2sc2314 these days that isn't counterfeit?

Reactions: loosecannon

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.