• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 25 NW WX ST volume question

Hurricane145

Aug 12, 2011
I picked up a Cobra 25 NW WX ST cheap and it all works except the nightwatch feature which is no real surprise.
One thing I notice that seems odd is that even with the volume down all the way it still has a fair amount of volume. When listening to a weather channel it is normal and a strong weather station can be turned down so that there is no audio. I was just wondering if others with this radio have had similar experiences with the volume being rather high at it's lowest setting.
It also doesn't seem to do very well here in the house with noise. It seems a lot noisier than a Road Talker 40 (slant face ssb) or a Cobra 138 XLR. The noise blanker does make a small difference but not all that much.
Maybe it is just the way it is with a smaller less expensive radio.
Any thoughts?

I picked up a Cobra 25 NW WX ST cheap and it all works except the nightwatch feature which is no real surprise.
One thing I notice that seems odd is that even with the volume down all the way it still has a fair amount of volume. When listening to a weather channel it is normal and a strong weather station can be turned down so that there is no audio. I was just wondering if others with this radio have had similar experiences with the volume being rather high at it's lowest setting.
It also doesn't seem to do very well here in the house with noise. It seems a lot noisier than a Road Talker 40 (slant face ssb) or a Cobra 138 XLR. The noise blanker does make a small difference but not all that much.
Maybe it is just the way it is with a smaller less expensive radio.
Any thoughts?

One of the many reasons these radio's were called Sound Crappers.

Reactions: Hurricane145
Thanks for the service bulletin. I'll give it a go and see if it helps. Probably just disable the weather alarm. I am not likely to need the alarm anyway.

I took out the jumper for the weather alarm and the volume is normal now.

Still not sure about the noise level being so high compared to other radios I have. I will wait until I can get it in my truck and see how it goes in there but I don't expect much difference. Noise blanker doesn't seem to make any difference on or off. It may have a problem in it's circuitry.

I took out the jumper for the weather alarm and the volume is normal now.

Still not sure about the noise level being so high compared to other radios I have. I will wait until I can get it in my truck and see how it goes in there but I don't expect much difference. Noise blanker doesn't seem to make any difference on or off. It may have a problem in it's circuitry.
If you can get your hands on one, a crude but effective device for checking a Noise Blanker is a Seat Belt alarm buzzer that a lot of cars used in the mid 70’s. Those things put out some real nasty spikes that could be heard in a radio placed at a considerable distance. Since Seat Belt use was not the law back then, most of those annoying buzzers were ripped out.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated