• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 29 Competition Radio ...

70cst

Dec 4, 2009
I am thinking about buying a Cobra 29 Competition Radio ...

I have not run a 29 in years and thought I would try one out. Many of folks say the 29 if using AM only is the best bet for CBing.

What separates the top notch builders from those who wish they were?

Are these radios best used barefoot or with an external box?

Thanks in advance.

Competition 29's are splatter boxes a swing kit and good scope tune and you'll be way ahead . Throw a box behind it and your golden.

So a Cobra 29 tuned right with a box is the way to go?

Also...are all 29 models the same or are some models better?

Thanks

So a Cobra 29 tuned right with a box is the way to go?

Also...are all 29 models the same or are some models better?

Thanks

If you can find a Philly get it. Mine are all newer 29's and are for the most part the same as the older ones. If you want a clean radio tune it on scope if you don't turn the mod be counter clock wise lol a swing kit is as easy as cap resistor and can have front mount variable power on a knob and one on the inside to set the level of the dk. Only one of mine has that very handy but isn't used much . The way I look at it let the box do the talking and cruise your radio and put clean in and get clean out . My 148 dk's 2 swinging 4 but I'm getting quality audio out its all a toss up man got to figure out what you really want out of your stuff

If you can find a Philly get it. Mine are all newer 29's and are for the most part the same as the older ones. If you want a clean radio tune it on scope if you don't turn the mod be counter clock wise lol a swing kit is as easy as cap resistor and can have front mount variable power on a knob and one on the inside to set the level of the dk. Only one of mine has that very handy but isn't used much . The way I look at it let the box do the talking and cruise your radio and put clean in and get clean out . My 148 dk's 2 swinging 4 but I'm getting quality audio out its all a toss up man got to figure out what you really want out of your stuff

I have a very nice untouched Philly made U. Grant.
This with the right tune with a box sounds like maybe this might be an option.

Doug at Custom CB Radio's builds all kinds of mild to wild Cobra 29's. Here is a link.
Custom CB Radios - Custom CB radios

That's a fact! I bought this one > Cobra Chrome Stealth Radio RFX Version - Custom CB radios when I had the need for another toy, I had echo included and paid $300 and some change. Doug does ALOT more than just screw the 75 on the back. I am one of the few that have actually took it to a local tech with all the equipment and had it checked out, mine done 122 watts with a two watt key on low and near that but with a 12 watt DK on high. The limiter was NOT clipped and when we put it on the scope the techs exact words were " I'll be damned...that actually looks pretty good...I can't believe my eyes" I used it barefoot with great reports. I also used it to drive a TS500V for along time, low power with the mic gain turned down. Eventually I sold it and have regretted it ever since.

That's a fact! I bought this one > Cobra Chrome Stealth Radio RFX Version - Custom CB radios when I had the need for another toy, I had echo included and paid $300 and some change. Doug does ALOT more than just screw the 75 on the back. I am one of the few that have actually took it to a local tech with all the equipment and had it checked out, mine done 122 watts with a two watt key on low and near that but with a 12 watt DK on high. The limiter was NOT clipped and when we put it on the scope the techs exact words were " I'll be damned...that actually looks pretty good...I can't believe my eyes" I used it barefoot with great reports. I also used it to drive a TS500V for along time, low power with the mic gain turned down. Eventually I sold it and have regretted it ever since.

Rfx's replace the final and which really has no effect on much for adjustments it just amplifys what it's givin. Ill take an external amp and you take your RFX and see which is better and easier to install and cools better and can be mounted anywhere and which one can go infront of any radio in minutes. You tell me which one is better.

Rfx's replace the final and which really has no effect on much for adjustments it just amplifys what it's givin. Ill take an external amp and you take your RFX and see which is better and easier to install and cools better and can be mounted anywhere and which one can go infront of any radio in minutes. You tell me which one is better.

(y)It all comes down to individual wants and needs. I had mine built to use in a CAT 980 loader, no room for an external amp and running the power cables to the battery to feed the amp was not an option. The heatsink did get warm sometimes but never hot.

The point is Doug does much more then bolt the RFX on the back and call it done. He is anal about every radio he does, his Stealth versions have numerous changes and up-grades from stock parts. The RFX-75 is just an option, he does single and dual mosfet mods as well as a 2290 mod. Hence the name CUSTOM CB RADIO.

He uses the LP-100A meter I think it's called. He's plenty busy right now with work so if ya don't like or believe what ya see on his web site your not gonna hurt his feelings any.

The first post on this thread was the guy wanted a custom built radio, I posted a link for the man that can get it done right for him. What he decides to do is up to him.

The point is Doug does much more then bolt the RFX on the back and call it done. He is anal about every radio he does, his Stealth versions have numerous changes and up-grades from stock parts. The RFX-75 is just an option, he does single and dual mosfet mods as well as a 2290 mod. Hence the name CUSTOM CB RADIO.

He uses the LP-100A meter I think it's called. He's plenty busy right now with work so if ya don't like or believe what ya see on his web site your not gonna hurt his feelings any.

The first post on this thread was the guy wanted a custom built radio, I posted a link for the man that can get it done right for him. What he decides to do is up to him.

I'm not knocking anyone's work here . I just don't see the point in a comp 29 for day to day use. Most people the use 29 in competition you'll not see a RFX on it. The new 29's are 100 bucks and you could buy a single or two pill box for 200 and have a better setup for 300 bucks

I'm not knocking anyone's work here . I just don't see the point in a comp 29 for day to day use. Most people the use 29 in competition you'll not see a RFX on it. The new 29's are 100 bucks and you could buy a single or two pill box for 200 and have a better setup for 300 bucks

I understand, I too would want to be able to run a nice 2 pill with it as well. A nice tune, receive mod, variable power, and maybe an audio kit would be all I need.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.