• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 29 LTD Classic w/RFX95HD

Hawkeye351

Jun 27, 2021
I think I posted somewhere else on this forum of a 2nd 29 I was checking out before throwing an rfx95hd on it. I mentioned the radio itself swings 40w pep, and was curious if my meter was right. Well I found out the meter is right and there are certain 29s that will produce 35w up to 45e pep.

Finally got around to throwing an RFX95HD on this one and was surprised even more to see the output of this combo.

Radio by itself:
Dead key = 8w
PEP swing = 40w
Average swing = 22w

With RFX installed with no adjusting anything:
Dead key = 18w
PEP swing = 150w
Average swing = 45w

You would think the RFX would run hot or have issues with this output, but no issues whatsoever. Radio finals and RFX run very cool, barely gets warm. The on the air test proved it to be an excellent competitor. Turned out amazing.

The 1st 29 w/rfx95 installed does keys 18w and its advertised PEP watts of around 97w, with 25w to 30w average swing. But that radio only put out by itself a 6w deadkey and swung up to 22w to 25w pep @ about 12w to 14w average swing. The owner now has this one back in his possession and is very pleased with the result.

So, I guess these RFX units like a higher key and more audio drive. They both run very cool, just barely warm when hammering on them and they cool down (as if they need it, lol) quickly.

I was shocked at the radio itself doing 40w, but even more amazed at the output (150w) of this setup compared to the 1st one without it getting hot, or even barely warm.

The gain of these add-on amps are exaggerated, in my opinion. On both setups I've done, I calculated around a 4db gain from the stock radio output (key and swing).

Wow is all I can say about 40w from a single 2078 final and 150w from a single 9530 fet, with no issues or heating problems, and they produce a very clean signal on the spectrum analyzer, even the 54mhz signal is almost flat, along with the rest of the floor. I'm amazed to say the least.

I think I posted somewhere else on this forum of a 2nd 29 I was checking out before throwing an rfx95hd on it. I mentioned the radio itself swings 40w pep, and was curious if my meter was right. Well I found out the meter is right and there are certain 29s that will produce 35w up to 45e pep.

Finally got around to throwing an RFX95HD on this one and was surprised even more to see the output of this combo.

Radio by itself:
Dead key = 8w
PEP swing = 40w
Average swing = 22w

With RFX installed with no adjusting anything:
Dead key = 18w
PEP swing = 150w
Average swing = 45w

You would think the RFX would run hot or have issues with this output, but no issues whatsoever. Radio finals and RFX run very cool, barely gets warm. The on the air test proved it to be an excellent competitor. Turned out amazing.

The 1st 29 w/rfx95 installed does keys 18w and its advertised PEP watts of around 97w, with 25w to 30w average swing. But that radio only put out by itself a 6w deadkey and swung up to 22w to 25w pep @ about 12w to 14w average swing. The owner now has this one back in his possession and is very pleased with the result.

So, I guess these RFX units like a higher key and more audio drive. They both run very cool, just barely warm when hammering on them and they cool down (as if they need it, lol) quickly.

I was shocked at the radio itself doing 40w, but even more amazed at the output (150w) of this setup compared to the 1st one without it getting hot, or even barely warm.

The gain of these add-on amps are exaggerated, in my opinion. On both setups I've done, I calculated around a 4db gain from the stock radio output (key and swing).

Wow is all I can say about 40w from a single 2078 final and 150w from a single 9530 fet, with no issues or heating problems, and they produce a very clean signal on the spectrum analyzer, even the 54mhz signal is almost flat, along with the rest of the floor. I'm amazed to say the least.
Nice, Show us the beast! We like to see the pictures!

Reactions: Hawkeye351
I need to get a camera, my phones camera shoots an inverted image cause the backside camera on phone doesn't work.

This example seems to be the most realistic as to what one would expect to see. Some of your other peak wattage numbers you listed seem quite high. Watt meters will vary and certain "tune-ups" will excite many watt meters into showing you those happy watts.

Reactions: NZ8N

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.