• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 29 LX blowing fuses

Big_D

Jan 11, 2019
I picked up a 29 lx that blows the fuse when you hook it up. I checked the polarity protection diode and it looks fine. What else should I look at?

I'd look a lot closer at that diode; see if it is split/cracked anywhere.
I'd still replace it to be sure that wasn't it.

After that, you will have to look at the schematic and find/disconnect all solid state devices that are on the mains 12v rail. Such as the audio chip, voltage reg, etc. Then, hook them up one at a time and try turning it on. Also IIRC suspect the zener diode on the regulator circuit too.

Last edited:
I clipped one leg off of it and when I check continuity between the power and ground prongs its still shorted

Reactions: Robb
Check continuity on the diode in both directions with it out of circuit. If you get a beep both directions, there is your culprit.

Cobra 29 LX blowing fuses

If it's getting paid it's regulated in most states if not illegal.

If it's mutual consent and not for profit , what business is it of yours?

Reactions: Big_D and Dmans
I picked up a 29 lx that blows the fuse when you hook it up. I checked the polarity protection diode and it looks fine. What else should I look at?
Condition of components...

Burnt parts, look for blown parts or discoloration, use your nose to detect scent of Kingsford, or "burnt Skunk" are good clues...

Take both clamshells off and observe traces for scorch marks or melted / welded parts - even look at the Clamshells themselves - their insides - look for traces of smoke or burn from pop welds.

The radio may have been part of a more catastrophic failure either by assembly or when assembled - the case got warped and shorted to the foil traces inside - this can happen and the radio looks normal but may have got pressed too hard together and now you have a radio with several parts blown and shorted out due to it.

Definitely going to replace it. I just wanted to be sure what the issue was before spending money on it. I hooked it up after checking for continuity and it seems to work like it should.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.